Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how dangerous is 2k spraying in back yard

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
I would say either go 2k or go acrylic. I dont see iso free 2k having an advantage over either. I think there's a reason why there isn't a whole lot of brands that do it.

Iso Free clear has the benefit of being able to apply it over either acrylic or 2k base coats.

garth7777

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
yeah i would use the 2k iso free hi build primer isolator even if you are going to spray acrylic it is designed for either 2k or acrylic top coats i have used it and know guys who swear by it one guy uses it in his restoration buissness,, it is a really good product with good filling properties and easy to sand with little or no sink back give it a week or two to cure properly if you can, its far superior to lacquer primer and probably as good as 2k primer i am doing a car at the moment and will be applyng acrylic lacquer top coat straight over the iso free hi build make sure you use a good 2 part glazing putty as well it will give you a far better job,,,i was going to use iso free 2k top coat such as the hi chem product and the protec 620 barrcryll the hi chem top coat is thinned about 5% while the 620 barrcryll is thinned up to 50% all iso free 2k has acetone similar to nail polish remover in the hardner instead of the isocynate making it a lot safer for you,,although they say it looses a lot of it durability and so on with out the isocynates in it the qld railways use it for spraying trains and so on ,, so it cant be to bad for you if they use it you would think.. i have heard of guys spraying restored EHcars in it its not overly dear the hi chem around the $140 mark for 3ltr of colour and 1ltr of hardner and $15 for a ltr of thinner and the 620 barrcryll is $180 for 4ltr of colour 1ltr of hardner and 4 ltr of thinner.iso free top coats are acrylic 2k this is what i have been told about it from the manufactures and so on there is a guy here in brisbane that works for hi chem who seems to know a bit about it and has used it a bit give him a call and have a chat with him i think his name is michael ph 07 38065122 i am just a bit concerned as to it durability i am keen to hear of any ones experiences with it over aperiod of time i know showbags has used the clear a fair bit and is happy with its performance

Last edited:

HoldenVH308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLX M40/L14/GU4 Commodore 1982
I think the best info i get from this thread is that DON'T SPRAY 2K AT HOME.... i want to spary my car myself not to save money but just to be able say I DID IT, I want a quality, long lasting paint job just as anyone else but realisticly the best anyone can do is if you want a really nice paint job on your car, prep it the best you can and leave it for the pro's for colours and clears, it may cost alot of money but you'll have your 2k paint job done and looking really nice and no harm done to any neighbours your children yourself and your dog lol