Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How did you get started....

RichoKidd

Obese Commodores
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
I've been working in the automotive parts industry for almost a year now and I really enjoy the work I do. I am still learning, but having done this for a while I'm starting to think about my future in the industry.

Since I was a kid I've always wanted to start my own business, and since I've started working in the automotive industry I've wanted to open my own high performance parts/mechanical workshop/store.

I know this is probably the most generic question I could probably ask but; How did you guys get your start? How did you go about it?

Just any info you think will help would be appreciated

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I was planning to focus more on the V6 side of things as, other then you guys, there just aren't too many good ones out & about. Especially in WA. I also was hoping to do an actual, walk-in/display store rather then online

-RK

Last edited:

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
a mate of mine put a few ad's on facebook, and that really got things happening for him.. now its a matter of word of mouth and stuff on ebay thats keeping him going.. And hes doing pretty well

MACE

Reaction score
RK,

Started from a similar place you’re at, at the moment though my reasons may be slightly different. For me I love designing products and being involved in pretty much all stages of product design. I’ve had this passion since I was small and focused what I wanted for a long time.

Despite having a diverse range of design and manufacturing experience part of me though that I would never have an engineering design role in either a performance parts company or machine building company, so I though I would give it a go at starting one up myself. I basically started off by selling items on ebay part time and took it from there.

Bear in mind that it’s far from always being milk and honey! It does involve a great deal of time and work, and will require a heap of personal development work along the way, often relative to ones up bringing.

If you’re thinking of getting into this game because of “easy” money I can tell you upfront not to bother as there are many other professions around that offer much better returns per time/money invested. Unless one is willing to resell imported rubbish for a quick $$$ then you might get away with it in the short term, if you can sleep at night, but even then there are on so many people you can rip off before they start chasing you with pitch forks in the middle of the night (so I’ve heard LOL). So it’s definitely a love job.

My theory behind that is that there are a lot of people out there who love cars and are quite happy to sacrifice dollars for work fulfillment. So it’s an extremely competitive industry to be in for sure!

I definitely do love the challenges this industry brings, despite it being hard on my health at times, it’s certainly allowed me to grow heaps as a person. Despite having a heap of background work here to do I still enjoy chatting with people when I can. To read or hear people coming back to you and saving thanks for the help or advice you’ve offered is extremely rewarding.

If you’re fairly cool with what I’ve written then I say go for it. The marketplace will always have room for everyone who offers good products and services. And just to keep persevering with what you’re ultimately after and everything will fall in to place.

One thing that I can suggest though is to consider doing a small business course. Never done one myself buy I know of people who have and it made me wish I did.

If you have any more questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Cheers
Steve