Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do I change the headlight globes....easily ;)

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Hello, I am new here with a dilemma. My son has a 2006 SV6 and the headlights have blown. Is anyone able to advise the best way of changing the globes, please?

Lynette

Very carefully

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Bumping an old thread as I've just changed my headlight bulbs to better ones, but I read this thread and expected it to be hard, but 5 minutes later and they're both changed.

A tiny bit of contortionism (sp) is required on the drivers side, but on the Passenger side I just unclipped the top of the airbox and moved that out of the way which gave me loads of room and made that side real easy.

And to save me starting a new thread, I want to upgrade all the the other bulbs now and was wondering if there was a good , reasonably priced online store that ships internationally/

Check eBay, I have the VE SSV and have replaced the rear brake lights and reversing lights with LED globes, they were $30 a pair each but will last longer than the car will live. The front Parker's I used Philips LED but again a bit expensive but you will only do it once. Soon as I can find yellow LED to fit blinkers I will do them too. The brake lights are now really bright and the reversing lights are like spotlights. Here's the store below, he might do a deal if you buy a few different bulbs.

Led items - Get great deals on Headlight Bulb, Ford items on eBay Stores!

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Bumping an old thread as I've just changed my headlight bulbs to better ones, but I read this thread and expected it to be hard, but 5 minutes later and they're both changed.

A tiny bit of contortionism (sp) is required on the drivers side, but on the Passenger side I just unclipped the top of the airbox and moved that out of the way which gave me loads of room and made that side real easy.

And to save me starting a new thread, I want to upgrade all the the other bulbs now and was wondering if there was a good , reasonably priced online store that ships internationally/

OH, AND DON'T SKIMP....BUY THE $30 ones like these

Holden Commodore UTE Crewman VE 1157 LED 7 5W RED Stop Bulb Tail Globes | eBay

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl

Yes those ones, I did. You can get yellow ones of this style too. Luckily I bought 2x of each... one whole rear cooked after about 50,000k.
Nothing lasts forever, jury still out on longevity of these high performance high temp LEDs.
The original eBay seller did mention that you shouldn't keep the brake (light) on for more than two minutes... I'm sure I've done ten minutes at times.
Anyone else have interference with rear camera and number plate LEDs?

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Yes those ones, I did. You can get yellow ones of this style too. Luckily I bought 2x of each... one whole rear cooked after about 50,000k.
Nothing lasts forever, jury still out on longevity of these high performance high temp LEDs.
The original eBay seller did mention that you shouldn't keep the brake (light) on for more than two minutes... I'm sure I've done ten minutes at times.
Anyone else have interference with rear camera and number plate LEDs?

Cooked, that's why I said don't skimp I've had mine in 6 months and no problems, some LED lights just look bad quality but those looks good. They shouldn't cook, they're LED's ad operate at lower temperatures than filaments, and as for the 10 minute rule that sounds weird because my LED tail lights are on all the time even during daylight (dash mat covers light senser. The only problem I've heard with LED blinkers is the lack of resistance causes the blinker to blink faster than normal but that becomes the new normal.
As for rear camera, I don't use it but occasionally I've noticed it's very dark and suffering then next time it's fine.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
This is the original LED upgrade article from an Italian V8 mob that switched me onto the brighter rear stop lights a year ago:
http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/modern-v8s-360-f430/16267-led-tail-lights-comparison.html
At the time they were only 6w vs 7.5w but he does mention about the heat generated.
This eBay seller was the original dude with them available for sale (mentioned in replies).
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=220984738160&cmd=VIDESC
Read the warning in red under product description (and the data sheet)
Re Number Plate - yeah it only goes fuzzy when the LEDs are on, Phillips halogens work fine with the camera but project cold blueish temp like a butcher's flouro

bj51

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT calais v6 series I
as I am in the process of trying to find the right leds for my vt I found that link to Ferrari life very helpfull I am impressed with the detail and comparisons,, seems dudes with to much money also have too much time but we thank him for his efforts