Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do I increase fuel economy in stock VS-II

mattgreen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Pack
550 kms is awsum. i get 450 driving it like a granny in my vs i never saw above 300, think i drove it to hard :D

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The ECU constantly tries to advance the ignition timing until knock or pre detonation (pinging) occurs,which is detected through the knock sensors.Then the ECU will retard the timing until pinging has stopped being detected,then it advances it again and so on.It keeps repeating this over and over.The higher the octane rating of the fuel is,the more advance can be added to the ignition timing before pinging occurs.More ignition advance,(to a point),means better efficiency,a cleaner more complete burning of the fuel /air mixture ,which equals more power and better economy.

slayer208

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS-II Esteem
change all fluids.
coolant engine oil trans oil.
change spark pulgs spark leads
with premium there isnt any point running your car on it as your car is tuned from factory so the only bennefit of using premium is to the oil companys.
make sure your battery levels are up aswell. if it has a dead cell might not hurt to get a new one.
check wheel bearings if they are causeing rolling resistance that will add to the fuel consumpion as well (not heaps but every little bit counts)
clean the maf out aswell
and also would hurt to replace the oxy sensors as i guess they are still the originals to..

i have no trouble getting 7-750 out of a tank of fuel highway driving in my vs.

Yeah, I noticed that when I done the VT brake upgrade that the bearings didn't sound too good. Wanted to get them done but was straped for cash and couldn't even access them because I needed something like a large allen key to get into the back of them. I have also thought the battery may have an effect as it's just about had it. Still the original ACDelco one. Yeah, I was planning on replacing the oxygen sensors as they are the original ones.

One of my mates has a VS wagon and always brags how he clears 800K's per tank, and he's never that easy on his car.

bandidoben

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs wagon
im never that easy to and i manage to get 700-750 a tank on 91ron with 10L left.
do a major overhaul and you should see a noticable increase!

emir3008

Reaction score
Website
emir3008.deviantart.com
Members Ride
VS Calais
make a long term investment and convert to gas, my vs calais is on gas, never looked back.

Alot cheaper, runs fine, and has in the end saved me heaps of $$$

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
dont forget to check ur typre presure too mine was down a fair bit pumped them all up even, getting a fair bit better now never would see above 350kms of town driving, now im at 400 with another knotch til empty

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The best economy mod Ive done is fitted a set of tuned length pacemaker extractors and a "sports" exhaust system.I got a good increase in fuel economy, and the engine runs 1 mark cooler on the temp gauge.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Start with the battery, plugs and leads and just replace all the consumables as cash allows. Plugs are about $25 a set for those things so bugger all really. A set of top gun or better leads and away you go. IMO don't bother with Oxy sensors until it displays a fault or you have spare cashola.

slayer208

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS-II Esteem
Yeah, the battery will be the first thing i'll replace. I've got a near new 4x4 yuassa 700cca battery that will fit in there with some minor work, I will install that tomorrow. I'm going to do the plugs and leads next week if the budget will allow it and work it from there. I have a diagnostic connector and efilive4 on my laptop and have checked for error codes a couple of times over the last few months and everything seems fine. Am a little concerned there may be a low voltage in the system due to the battery, but I should have that issue resolved by tomorrow morning.

slayer208

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS-II Esteem
I've now made a custom metal bracket to fit the yuassa 4x4 battery, and installed it. Also had to move the carbon cannister over to make it fit. The engine cranks over a lot quicker but i've noticed that there's still some hesitation with he motor starting. Since i've done the few basic mods like the updated memcal, the GM CAI and hi-flow filter the terrible fuel smell coming from the exhaust has disappeared. The engine doasn't feel like there's been any real power gains but sounds much smoother. I'm certain that bad plug lead might be an issue as it's dropped of its retainer and has burnt through 1/3rd of the way. I'm going to get a brand new set of irridium plugs and a good set of leads next week so i reckon that'll make her run even smoother.

Cheers for all your help and input fellas! and thanks once again for steering me in the right direction! ;)