Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how do i prime an oil pump

hrtmad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTHSV
i own a 5 litre manual vt clubsport

I replacing the oil pump, how do you prime the pump,

ive heard that you put vasoline in it, is this correct, if so do you pack the whole pump full of vasoline, or just lube the gears and gear shaft then fill it with oil and fit the pump (filter included) to the car

hail storm

Reaction score
Yeah mate pack the pump gears full of Vaso and fill the filter with oil.Remove the spark plugs so the engine spins fast and watch the O/Pressure gauge

hrtmad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTHSV
how long do i let the engine turn over intill i get normal oil pressure

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
pretty much once you have vaso'd it once u whack it in put ur oil in, then run your vehicle for 5 minutes at least bring it to the normal operating temperature (75-100 degrees) once that has happened your oil pressure light should turn off if not even before then. * should turn off*
if your light does not turn off ..... TURN OFF YOUR ENGINE, let it cool down and as posted below start again.

Last edited:

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
then run your vehicle for 5 minutes at least bring it to the normal operating temperature (75-100 degrees) once that has happened your oil pressure light should turn off. * should turn off*
if not run your engine until the light goes off if the light doesnt turn off you have done something wrong. turn off your engine let it cool down and inspect the pump.

I personally wouldn't run my engine with the oil pressure light on for 5 minutes lol that is asking for trouble.

get a proper oil pressure gauge and use that. the principle is, the gear pump that pushes the oil around your engine isn't real good at self-priming (not a good air seal) so packing it full of vas or grease maintains this seal, so when the pump is rotated it can create negative pressure on the intake and the oil makes its way up the pickup so the pump can operate as planned.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
It should quieten down after 1 minute or so max. If it doesn't, time to start again

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
I personally wouldn't run my engine with the oil pressure light on for 5 minutes lol that is asking for trouble.

get a proper oil pressure gauge and use that. the principle is, the gear pump that pushes the oil around your engine isn't real good at self-priming (not a good air seal) so packing it full of vas or grease maintains this seal, so when the pump is rotated it can create negative pressure on the intake and the oil makes its way up the pickup so the pump can operate as planned.

yeah essentially what needs to happen is for the oil pump to engage, and start pumping oil around the engine.... to do this properly the engine needs to be at normal opearting temperatures........

hrtmad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTHSV
So what is better to pack the pump with grease or vaso, i was actually gonna use both hail storm and fitz_vt's idea, turn the engine over with plugs out untill the oil pressure light goes out, then run car for 5 mins till normal oil pressure is achieved.