Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do you compress steering wheel spring

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
My VS ute has a boss steering wheel kit and getting the spring off with the surge clip was easy now I'm stuck getting the spring compressed enough to put the clip back on, can the upper steering wheel column be pulled out an inch or two, mine has some play in it but not enough to get the clip on or do I have to remove the whole column?
20240309_163018.jpg

Last edited:

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I have the Haynes Commodore book but I cant find any info in it so I was looking at complete columns and it looks like if I remove the 4 bolts holding the upper column I can remove it and have more room to put the clip back on is this the right way? can putting heaps of pressure on the spring damage the collapsible part of the upper column?
Steering Column Bolts.jpg

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
Put the circlip on the shaft just after the splined section.
Use a piece of tube or a tube spanner over the shaft to push the circlip against the spring.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
It's doubtful you would damage the collapsible collar unless you're using a hammer pr using extreme force .
Put the nut back on the shaft to give yourself something to hold onto and see if the shaft will pull out of the column, it may come out just enough to get the circlip on.

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Ok thanks for the great ideas I'll try again tomorrow this is the first time ive tried to remove the upper column I tried removing the 4 bolts but couldnt get the upper away from where it sits in at the floor is there something else holding the upper to the lower at the floor level?

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
It is bolted to the rack in the engine bay, you would need to get under the car to access it.
You'll be better off putting everything back together, then try putting the clip on.
What are you actually trying to do?

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
There was a squeaking sound whenever the wheel was turned so I removed the plastic gizmo housing the bearing and cleaned everything up, I have a quick question for you grey_hawk the plastic part with a bearing has a metal/copper pin that is spring loaded for contact to a metal ring on the steering wheel and a wire is to the pin but what is this for I dont have an airbag and the horn is wired to and through the wheel

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
The pin at the top of the photo?
That is for the horn.

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
(what is the name of the plastic part with a bearing) Ah dang it I wasn't thinking, of course its for the wheel I'm going to look at the wheel in the dark now to check, I have a spare plastic part but the pin has worn down a lot but it looks like an extra piece can be silver soldered or just soldered because I bet it wont make contact with the wheel anymore

Attachments

• Horn.jpg
    Horn.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 34

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
Plastic part with a bearing is the 'upper bearing housing'.