Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how fast is your vl???

Sabby

MSABBY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS FIFTY
more power on gas? i thoguht petrol was more powerful

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
if its straight gas sabby it can get more power because gas has a higher octane... its duel fuel that runs like ****

Sabby

MSABBY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS FIFTY
ahh thanks walesy :thumbsup: learn sumthn new everyday

vpallme

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo
am i on crack, or does the vl start making its power past 3k rpm?? it feels like it pulls harder past 3k than b4 it for sure.

Shane1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL SL
It depends on your cam timing but stock VLs make their power at and after 3,000 RPM. You can tell if you have a tacho were your power range is becuase you will notice a BIG change in the exhaust note. It will sound bangy at first then it will smooth out when you hit your power range, Then it will just start to roar and scream as it reaches redline... I like my exhaust sound. Everybody recons is sounds like crap. Its burbly at idle then its quit until 3,000 then the feeling when my car hits power is like riding a 2 stroke. And I have a NA setup as well. HAHAHA When it hits 4,500 to redline it sounds like a unrestricted V8. It shuts alot of people up when they rev me up at the lights LMAO!!!!

Sabby

MSABBY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS FIFTY
hmm yeah i need a tacho.
i can really feel the power at higher rpm's coz wen i flatten my foot, its sluggish at start, but then you can here the roar, and it flies.
gotta love cold nights tho, it goes alot better on pickup.

GLD-086

Reaction score
It depends on your cam timing but stock VLs make their power at and after 3,000 RPM. You can tell if you have a tacho were your power range is becuase you will notice a BIG change in the exhaust note. It will sound bangy at first then it will smooth out when you hit your power range, Then it will just start to roar and scream as it reaches redline... I like my exhaust sound. Everybody recons is sounds like crap. Its burbly at idle then its quit until 3,000 then the feeling when my car hits power is like riding a 2 stroke. And I have a NA setup as well. HAHAHA When it hits 4,500 to redline it sounds like a unrestricted V8. It shuts alot of people up when they rev me up at the lights LMAO!!!!

Yeah same here.

My girl is quiet, but after 3K it really starts to wake up. It doesn't sound like an 8, just screams, and makes a nice rumble.

vpallme: Yeah mate, I reckon you're right. The VLs do seem to pull after 3K.

Not much down low, but midrange is when they start to get up and go. Although IMO I think the 5 speeds had more get go in this range, than autos.

That's not being biased, because my brother has an Auto Exec that I drove alot, and I base my observations on that, compared to my car.

Shane1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL SL
Yea man, No worries there sabby! I love winter time here in alice.... I can run a mid to low 13 when its nice and cool. With the mesh of the AFM removed, with a CAI setup as well, there arent that many other 6's that will run me anyday. But they really try to stay away from me on cold nights. :whistling

Shane1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL SL
Yea, 3,000 pickup range is accually perfect for launching on a rather slick or grippy surface. Just wind it up around 3,000 ( 2,750 for me ) and slip the clutch out fast and smooth. She will grab and rocket off the line, then you just grab second and chirp the tyres, then occasionally if my car is running octane booster I can chirp third... :w00t:

GLD-086

Reaction score
Yea, 3,000 pickup range is accually perfect for launching on a rather slick or grippy surface. Just wind it up around 3,000 ( 2,750 for me ) and slip the clutch out fast and smooth. She will grab and rocket off the line, then you just grab second and chirp the tyres, then occasionally if my car is running octane booster I can chirp third... :w00t:

Mine is hard to get spinning. It'll do it, but that was on my old 15s, with ****ty tyres. The 235s grip very well.

Maybe I'm not doing it right. lol