Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how good are ecotecs on gas?

P plater

the immortal misguided one
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Ford Falcon Futura wagon/ 1994 VR Exec wagon
Hi all, I am considering a VTII exec wagon on gas and petrol, other than the usual problems with the ecotecs, what usually goes wrong with the gas. Any ideas or advice is highly appreciated

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Nothing really goes 'wrong' with the gas. But you need to make sure that the gas system is in tune and that you ensure that your spark plugs, leads and coil packs are in top condition. If your ignition system is even slightly weak, it'll backfire and break the air box.

I used to have a mixer system on mine and went through a few airboxes before I replaced the DFI module and coils, and it never backfired after that. It's since been converted to vapor injection, so there's no chance of backfiring or any other damage. TBH, if you're wanting a car on lpg I'd save a little more and buy something with lpg injection already fitted.

Last edited:

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Given your history maybe you should look for a Ford with factory gas. (Cheap unrego'd tho ;) )

D

devilly

depends how many years are left on tank stamp date.i got told not to put gas on them, can't remember why.

Jonesy484

OfficialChadyMeetOrganisr
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE 2 SSV REDLINE WAGON
gas is ok, good because its cheap, less fuel efficient but cheaper to run. cars can backfire/stall out if tune is not good. if car is doing this check the bottom of the airbox. they do dent to crack or blow out. I ran my VX on gas for 4 years only had to replace my airbox once. Also vehicles of that age on gas have there traction control disabled.

Jonesy

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Given your history maybe you should look for a Ford with factory gas. (Cheap unrego'd tho ;) )

given his history he is going to make 15,000 threads about different cars he is considering then go buy the one everyone told him not to.

ecotecs on gas are fine, slow as ****, can backfire and blow the airbox or intake pipe apart and the tank needs to be redone if its been 10 years since it was last done.

P plater

the immortal misguided one
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Ford Falcon Futura wagon/ 1994 VR Exec wagon
given his history he is going to make 15,000 threads about different cars he is considering then go buy the one everyone told him not to.

ecotecs on gas are fine, slow as ****, can backfire and blow the airbox or intake pipe apart and the tank needs to be redone if its been 10 years since it was last done.

At least I'm slowly learning that owning a commodore is going to be a better idea than owning a Ford

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
At least I'm slowly learning that owning a commodore is going to be a better idea than owning a Ford

The problem isn't with a particular manufacturer, it's with the previous owners of the cars you've been buying. Find a car in good condition with low mileage that's 100% stock. There are plenty out there, you just need to keep your eyes open. It's worth the extra money to buy one in pristine condition. Personally, I'd buy a mint VS over a VT if it has to be an NA V6, but that's my opinion.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
The problem isn't with a particular manufacturer, it's with the previous owners of the cars you've been buying. Find a car in good condition with low mileage that's 100% stock. There are plenty out there, you just need to keep your eyes open. It's worth the extra money to buy one in pristine condition. Personally, I'd buy a mint VS over a VT if it has to be an NA V6, but that's my opinion.

This, if you keep buying $500 turds that have been run into the ground your gonna have a bad time.