Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How good are the XU6 series(going to look at a few)?

Timsgmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina Wags
Need to know how good they are compared to a standard 6 and how do you do the pulley upgrade,what else needs to be changed?Cheers guys/girls.

JT090

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
they look nice but as thirsty as an 8 nearly anyway becuase of the larger injectors, etc so I have heard, I'd see if you could push it to a clubby to be honest

Timsgmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina Wags
I think they are basically the same price for some stupid reason.I dont know what the difference is between the manta,clubsport,senator etc etc(i am changing from a vp 5.0 to a better car.

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
they look nice but as thirsty as an 8 nearly anyway becuase of the larger injectors, etc so I have heard, I'd see if you could push it to a clubby to be honest

not true at all. we average 550-600 k to a tank city driving and 750+ all highway (fully loaded mind you) but in saying that you drive like you stole it it will use alot more..

Beats 5.0liter of the same model (aswell as most others) and stock ls1's through to vy get a good run for there money.

I have a 10psi pulley dual 2.5" cat back and 3.45 diff gears and run 14.2@97mph so far but yet to get some good cold weather with the diff gears to really see what she'll do. and drive the near 150k round trip to willowbank and back on 1/4 tank including 5 runs.
handling its a little better balanced over the 5 liters due to less weight over the front.

to change pulley is about a 10 minute job if you can get hold of a proper puller and pulley and belt sets you back $180 through in a k&n panel filter, 81 degree thermostat, high ratio rockers and some diff gears 3.45 or shorter and you can achive high 13's and still retain stock drive ability.

Vx should be slightly faster over the 1/4 due to slightly less weight over the vt.

In all honesty if your after a real fast car go for a clubby and mod it but for a reasonably quick car with decent econamy then an xu6 isn't bad value.

Vt_vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
carless for now
get the clubby. mates auto with a 500 dollar mafless tune and a xforce catback did a 13.4 with good economy.

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Depends what your after.... I like the XU6's as their a little rarer, but if your after outright performance go anything with an LS1.

That said, if you budget in a Water to Air intercooler and pully upgrade, you should be able to make pretty decent power (300kw is possible). Remember though, all XU6s are auto, and not easy to change to manual. So for an all out package, a VT Calais with LS1, upgraded exhuast, OTRCAI, MAFless tune and lowered suspension will give very nice comfort with plenty of power for a lost less $$

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
A VT2 onwards clubby with a genna would be a better option outright for value for money but the torque of a lightly modded XU6 is really nice as a daily and the little boosted 3.8s get off the line really well without using much petch. Economy is completely up to the discipline of your right foot.