Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how hot should vs run

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
CAI isnt goin to do much when the car is stationary...

Notorious

Notoriou$
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2 3.8L
CAI wont do ****... Your air intake doesnt cool your motor, thats the water in the radiator's job.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Same car the hottest it gets no matter what is two marks up on the guage or about 3/16" from the bottom when first turning it on.

Have a look at your thermostat and your radiator cap for std specs.

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
turn your aircon on and it will hover around 1/4. When i idle at lights and stuff with my aircon off it goes to 1/2 way.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
That two lines is with the a/c on.

statesman_vs_s1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman Series 1 V6
V6 VS Statesman.

Sits on 1/8 on hwy driving,
Tends to hover around the 1/4mark, bit over in light traffic.
Heavy traffic just over the half when thermo fans kick in.

Climate control running guage sits just under the 1/4line regardless of conditions in traffic and driving manner.

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
1/2 way around town
1/4 highway
up to 3/4 when idling for long periods

i know i need a flush and new coolant, maybe this has something to do with it going to 3/4 when idling for long periods

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Seems that all are very different for some reason, same as for fuel guages where empty means some will stop and others still have 100Kms left in them.

Perhaps the guages can be remapped similar to the fuel system, as everything runs off the computer in some way.

The older model holdens fuel sender were simply adjusted by bending the float connected to the tank's sender unit while watching the guage as the float was moved through the arc of it's different positions outside of the tank and comparing the guage to the senders relative position.

Different temp senders made at different times may give different readings.

Perhaps best to say they are commodores and leave it there if they work in some way.

In very heavy trafffic and 40+ outside my temp guage has never hit 1/4, it obviously works but is set differently to others for whatever reason.

hsvpgts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II V6 Berlina
hey there. i have a 6/96 series 1 acclaim v6 and mine was doing the same as your's. I
will let you in on a bit of a secret. holden actually brought out revised temp sensors for the guage as were reading incorrectly. the sensor is at the front of the engine under the thermostat housing area and if you look at it on the older one's there is actually a black o'ring (so to speak) just behind where the wire slots on to the front of the sensor. to fix you'll need to go to holden and purchase a new sensor which will have a white o'ring on the end. when fitting the new sensor make sure it's done cool or you'll get burnt. simply pop the wire off the old one, unscrew sensor (deep 13mm socket required) and screw the new one in. re-bleed the cooling system having bottle in radiator to keep level above bleeder screw and once gets hot open bleeder to get rid of the air possibly in the system and close. once done guage shouldn't (not saying it won't all together) go over about 1/4 when drining and 1/2 when stationary.

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
From what I remember from speaking to a Holden Tech, the gauge doesn't represent much of a range from 1/4 to overtemp, providing it never hits the red and comes down when the thermo kicks in, I wouldn't worry.

Of course I still flush my radiator every two years :)

Clacks