Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how long does a ls1 dyno tune take

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Hi, Just wanted to know how long it takes to do a dyno tune.
When I had my vz ss tuned, it took less than an hour. About 1hr 15 mins from the time I arrived till the time I drove out including paying and having a bit of a chat about other mods.
I heard the car ramp up about 3 times and rev for a while once or twice.

The ss drives fine and everything but just wondering how good of a tune can it be in that short a time. I spoke to another shop today that was close by about a touch up tune and they said it would take about an hour and a half. I asked why when the original tune took less then an hr, he just said he would not comment on others work but did say it should take a while longer than an hour.

It did cost me $700 at a reputable shop.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
$700 is not a bad price by any means. It really comes down to how extensively your car is modified. If it's a bread and butter standard build with just an intake or exhaust it'll be a pretty common combo that they've done many times before, so they can do it quickly. A lot of tunes for standard bits of kit are cut and paste jobs with AFRs checked.

In the end though a tuning shop is a private business and can charge whatever they like. There is no industry benchmark for something like that. That's where word of mouth comes in.

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Not worried about the price. I just included that to point out I did pay a proper price for it.

So it's definitely possible to get a decent tune in that time if they know what there doing. My car is a basic full exhaust/otr combo.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
IF your combo is the same or very similar to another car they have tuned then they would have uploaded that same tune and then run it up to see what the results were. Possibly tweaked it depending on results they got. Most likely though you have fairly generic tune that they use.

LS combos are getting very common now, most dyno places have seen/done all the basic combo's, easy money really.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Less than an hour seems pretty quick to me, but as Immortality has said, LS engine tunes are done on a regular basis with some shops, so they may have done heaps.

I'd be keeping an eye on the way the car performs, if it doesn't seem right after a few days/week or two, take it back and have a chat to them.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
LS tunes are a licence to print money. As said if it was basic mods they would have a tune sitting there ready to go. Tweak it a little to suit your car done.

Every shop can do a better tune then every other shop.

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Ok, thanks, I guess that pretty much answers my questions.
My combo is the same as everyone else's (more than likely) with a full exhaust/otr.