Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How long does it take to "Wear in" on the new SIDI engines

ASxTecH

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF LSA Maloo
myth or not just wondering how long it takes to "Wear in" a new SIDI engine V6 ( Manual )
Im getting mixed responses how many hours or Km's you should baby a new motor

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Most modern cars pre run their engines, this is the case with the VE. It is already "run in" so you don't need to baby it.

As a point of reference, read your manual, it will tell you in there exactly what you need to do.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V v6 S1
When a client picks up there new bike I alwasy tell them more than driving the importance of changing oil frequesntly during the first few months of ownership.

Me i would drop the oil and filter at 1000kms and than at 7500km than the take to dealer and do the mandatory 15000 than do 22500 yourself.

Thats what i do.

What you do is up to you.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Most modern cars pre run their engines, this is the case with the VE. It is already "run in" so you don't need to baby it.

As a point of reference, read your manual, it will tell you in there exactly what you need to do.

That being said, I'd still advise not going on long hwy trips in the first few thousand km's.
No need to 'baby it', but lots of up and down in the rev range would be better than sitting at constant revs for hundreds of km's.

mad macks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute S2
My 2011 SV6 didn't loosen up 100% until it had 30,000 Km under its belt
Motor now much smoother at high revs
Absolute gem of an engine (6 speed manual trans)
98 octane fuel helps

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Driving on highway trips is not and should not be aproblem for any new vehicle. Read the very specific instructions to be found in the Owners Manual in regard to how to drive a new vehicle. As previously stated, changing the oil is of far greater importance. Holden advise a 'free' 1500 service but no oil change until 15,000 km. Far too long in my opinion. I would suggest 1st change at 1500 then 5,000 then 10,000 and every 5,000km thereafter. Alloytecs LOVE clean oil.

Titleist

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE s2 SSV
gotta bed those rings in , sideways out the showroom :)

rum87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Redline Ute M6
^^ i was going to say the same thing lol. once i pulled out of the dealers driveway that was my run in period, had to see what it had seeings i came from a 4cyl. but as stated regular oil changes. my oil gets changed every 5000kms and ive never had a problem and runs fine

adr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
Our 3.0 litre SIDI work cars are swapped every 6 months, about 90000km, and are driven hard 24 hours a day basically non stop from brand new. Definitely not babied at all and I have never experienced a problem with the engine.