Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How long should I leave this

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Hi Guys.

I have just finished respraying my spoiler after some physical damage.

Its been resprayed 1K Metallic Silver with a High gloss acrylic clear.

I currently have it sitting inside in a room at 30 Degrees to try and help it cure.

I would like to have it back on the car for the weekend but I have heard that its not good to let fresh acrylic get rain on it until its 100% cured (which without being baked can take up to a week).otherwise you can get streak marks in the clear from the water

Is this true?

At the moment in my area I am struggling to get 24 hours without heavy down pours so don't want to have to rub it back and spray it all over again.

Opinions?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
the paint will make little circles or halos (water spots) if isnt fully cured, but it being acrylic clear it will buff out fairly easily. i wouldnt worry about it too much, just bolt it up cause youll be buffing it every few months to keep the gloss level up anyway...

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Thanks hi_ryder good advice as always.

Both my bumpers are acrylic too so I know how much work it is keeping it looking shmick, the buffing and up keep erks me....should really get around to trying 2pak, but I guess i'm just old fashioned that way :p

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
i steer clear of 1k when ever possible because its way more upkeep than 2k. i dont mind using it where the sun dosent get to it (under bonnets boots stuff like that). the australian sun is just too harsh for any decent longevity.

Last edited:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Just another quick question.

I have always heard mixed reports about acrylic polishing.

I usually wait a couple of weeks before compound/polishing it to allow the paint to completely cure.

But I have also been told a few times now that it can be done within 24 hours with acrylic, its only with 2k that you have to use such caution?

Opinions?