Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How loud can your exhaust be in SA for a vk 308?

poite91

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk berlina 308
Hi all just would like to know how loud a exhaust can be in SA for a vk 308 and still be legal?

I'm thinking about putting a muffler with a valve in it on the old girl as not to upset mister Police man.

Cheers Pete

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Pete,

For passenger cars, passenger car derivatives and panel vans manufactured:

•before 1 January 1983 the stationary noise level when tested must not exceed 96 dB(A)
•on or after 1 January 1983 the stationary noise level when tested must not exceed 90 dB(A).

An adjustable exhaust, like a Varex, is actually illegal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

poite91

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk berlina 308
Pete,

For passenger cars, passenger car derivatives and panel vans manufactured:

•before 1 January 1983 the stationary noise level when tested must not exceed 96 dB(A)
•on or after 1 January 1983 the stationary noise level when tested must not exceed 90 dB(A).

An adjustable exhaust, like a Varex, is actually illegal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dam I got a 84 vk...

Is that on idle? Or a set rpm? or just in general? and how far is it measured from back of the car?

Dam I like the idea of them...

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Didn't state if that was an idle or not.

Best to assume thats across the rev range. Depending on the officer, they may test it at 1500, 3250, 5500, or whatever they decide. :(

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
Check out the below link:
http://www.ntc.gov.au/filemedia/Reports/NatStatExhaustNoiseTestSept2006.pdf
Looking for section: 4. TEST METHOD FOR ALL VEHICLES EXCEPT PRE ADR83 IN-SERVICE GOODS VEHICLES AND OMNIBUSES

Microphone is half a meter away at a 45 degree angle to the exhaust outlet.
The RPM of the test will depend on the engine type as below:

In the case of a passenger car or derivative, if the engine has:
(i) 5 cylinders or less 4000 rpm
(ii) 6 cylinders and is
manufactured before 1995 3200 rpm
manufactured in 1995 or later 3600 rpm
(iii) 8 cylinders and is
manufactured before 2000 3300 rpm
manufactured in 2000 or later 3900 rpm
(iv) more than 8 cylinders 4300 rpm
(v) If the engine is a rotary engine 4500 rpm

poite91

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk berlina 308
Ok so I just got a 104.4 peak at 3300 rpm whats a way to make the car quieter with out losing power/flow. I have pacemaker extractors and a twin 2 1/2 inch exhaust with 3 inch tips.

I had to move my mothers mazda 3 to do the test so I tested it for a bit of a lol and she got a 87.6 at 4000 rpm and the car is new and 100% stock!? what hope do I have...?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Or 3/4 of the vehicles ESMP (Engine Speed at Maximum Power.) So if your car makes it's maximum power at 5400rpm, then it would be tested at about 4000rpm.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Ok so I just got a 104.4 peak at 3300 rpm whats a way to make the car quieter with out losing power/flow. I have pacemaker extractors and a twin 2 1/2 inch exhaust with 3 inch tips.

I had to move my mothers mazda 3 to do the test so I tested it for a bit of a lol and she got a 87.6 at 4000 rpm and the car is new and 100% stock!? what hope do I have...?

If the mazda got that high I think either your tester is a dud or you have too much ambient/background noise

In SA the police can't test your vehicle noise on the side of the road for this reason, background/wind noise essentially doubles your reading....Police must have the car in a noise free area before commencing testing.

One of the JC guys from the SA group went through this with transport safety not long ago

poite91

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk berlina 308
If the mazda got that high I think either your tester is a dud or you have too much ambient/background noise

In SA the police can't test your vehicle noise on the side of the road for this reason, background/wind noise essentially doubles your reading....Police must have the car in a noise free area before commencing testing.

One of the JC guys from the SA group went through this with transport safety not long ago

Yeah I think the sound was bouncing of the curb il retest it next time I'm back at the rents house.

Oh ok il have to go have a look thanks.