Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How many Km's on your VN/VP?

jakewaze

Jakewaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Spack S1 Auto
my 1990 VN S Pak has done bout 140 000ks but i only got the history of it since 03 so the dash may have been changed :(. who knows lol
Probs since i had it;
Coil pack
leads
tyres
fuel filter
powersteering fluid resivoir (still leaking)
trans is a bit clunky but isn't slipping
squeaks alotlol
Good car though

Gosling1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore Series 1
Our 1989 Series 1 VN Exec, has recently clocked up 310,000km. The missus bought it way back in 1992, from the original owner - he did a lot of trips to Brisbane and clocked up 80-odd thousand k's in the first 3 years.

Its been on gas (dual fuel) since 2005, and has had the usual repairs along the way....

* all Welch plugs replaced back in '93.
* 2 x fuel pumps in 20 years - not so bad really....
* 3 x harmonic balancer
* 2 x crank sensors
* 2 x ignition coil pack
* Recently replaced the original ignition control module

I even managed to squeeze almost 200kmh out of the old girl last year, chasing some blinged-up TRD Hi-Lux ute that looked brand-new !! :whistling:yeah:

jakewaze

Jakewaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Spack S1 Auto
* I even managed to squeeze almost 200kmh out of the old girl last year, chasing some blinged-up TRD Hi-Lux ute that looked brand-new !! :whistling:yeah:

WHAT??? don get it

Gosling1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore Series 1
....WHAT??? don get it.....

well - on a trip home from Sydney last year, I had a bit of a run with a brand-spankers Hi-Lux ute - one of those TRD jobbies - looked like it had 24" wheels or something !! :bow: He was cracking along at a good clip, so I just tailed him for quite a while.......

eventually, he seemed to get tired of the VN staying with him, so he booted up a tad more.....and then a bit more......, and on one stretch, I managed to boot the VN up to almost 200kmh (indicated).......fastest she's been in a long time ....not for long but, he turned off and I resumed normal touring speed once again.....:w00t:

Normally this is the second car - that only gets used for school trips, shopping, all the boring stuff. But......occasionally.......it gets a strop on the highway....

:thumbsup:

Bazzdogs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore S
My Father bought a V8 VN ute brand new years ago. Its done 366312 kms and never had a single engine failure. its had a single gearbox replacement due to heavy "clunki-ness" and a camber re-alignment. Its been a construction car all its life so its seen its fair share of bumps and heavyloads such as being a fuel tanker to the heavy plant. A still miraculously living miracle as its been quoted at around 7 grand.
I think this car takes the cake.

p.s. never been in an accident and everything about it is stock standard besides the wheels, 3 peice customs Simmons. which sadly doesnt exist anymore

Pete_perth

Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6
My old 3.8 91 VP has done over 360,000ks. About 2 - 3 years ago I restored her completely. Heaps done but nothing major to the engine. In fact the engine continues to pull like a beast.

I have had her resprayed, replaced the power steering, muffler, rims, MAP sensor, fan resistor, replaced all shockies, alternator, fuel pump, changed all the coolant hoses and thermostate, water pump, all brakes, put in a new stereo and amp, all services and the usual consumables (plugs, filters etc), replaced the roof lining, repaired all the door seals, replaced globes as the old ones burn out, put in a L2 tacho dash, reokaced drivers seat rail and I am sure there are others, but that's all i can remember off the top of my head.

She's a great car but now I am thinking it's time to say goodbye to her, problem is I don't know if I can let her go to someone else in case they treat her bad - or am I being stupid for thinking that? Men and their Holdens eh!

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8L S1 VN & Sr20det 180sx
294,000, still runs pretty good, takes a floggin pretty well :p a bit supprised, as a friends vr did 160 then **** its pants (had 260,000kms on clock) but mines got the 294,000 or whatever and still runs really well?? havent really had too many problems with the engine.. however i did spend $3,000 on repairs just 6 months ago.. (brakes, tail lights, just stuff like that, wear n tear, or stupid **** people did in the car -sigh-)

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
My old 3.8 91 VP has done over 360,000ks. About 2 - 3 years ago I restored her completely. Heaps done but nothing major to the engine. In fact the engine continues to pull like a beast.

I have had her resprayed, replaced the power steering, muffler, rims, MAP sensor, fan resistor, replaced all shockies, alternator, fuel pump, changed all the coolant hoses and thermostate, water pump, all brakes, put in a new stereo and amp, all services and the usual consumables (plugs, filters etc), replaced the roof lining, repaired all the door seals, replaced globes as the old ones burn out, put in a L2 tacho dash, reokaced drivers seat rail and I am sure there are others, but that's all i can remember off the top of my head.
I've done all that stuff in bold, and HEAPS more that you haven't, does that mean I've "restored her completely"? I wouldn't think so. PLENTY more to go before most of us can make that claim. However, great work! Don't give up now unless you really don't care about the car any more. For what you would get on the market for a VP Exec, not worth selling in my opinion. If you have somewhere to store it,
a friends vr did 160 then **** its pants (had 260,000kms on clock) but mines got the 294,000 or whatever and still runs really well??
All depends on service history and how well the motor was screwed together in the factory.

DavoVP

Reaction score
245 xxx

Problems well, in the time ive had it got her with 184 xxx on the clock, 1x harmonic balacner 1x maual gear box, couple of gas solanoids, front rotors and pads.............

But she ticks like a bomb, has the groovy loose change rattles comeing from under then bonnet, interior creaks and rattles like no body's bussnes, Tyres aplenty, Clutch ison the way out, Paints shot, body work leaves alot to be desired.