Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much can i get out of an LS1

VZImpulseSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
'79 HZ Ute
Hey guys, basically i'm wanting the most amount of power possible from my budget.

I'll have about 15-20K to spend, and im wanting to get the most out of an LS1 as possible. Im open to all options and opinions, but i'll state a few things so you guys know what my thoughts are.

Never once been impressed with any NA car, so i think just heads and whatever else might be off the cards. I currently have an XR6 Turbo (sue me lol), and it feels fantastic. I understand its a different feel and kind of power and as i said i prefer this to NA.

I drove a supercharged VY Senator done by Formulatech pushing 600rwhp (apparently), which was then taken to Active Automotive to be fixed, which they did so, and downtuned it to 560rwhp. Sounded absolutely savage, loved it. But again, was really unimpressed with how it went. No top end whatsoever, and was quite slow for the power it had. Hoping this was a one off?

Soooo, i've considered putting on an ASE T1000 Turbo kit, using a Garret GT4502R (bigger than whats on my xr6 turbo, and pushing through a 5.7L V8 as oppose to an 4.0L Inline 6). Funnily enough people seem to only be making mid-high 300rwkws out of them. Being generous to make sure i can afford it all, i've figured:

7,5000 - Kit
3000 - Install
3000 - Cam, Springs, tune etc
2000 - Fuel system
3000 - Exhaust

Thats 18,500, and im hoping to push 400rwkw (without having to be running like 22134918 PSI.

Sorry for the essay guys, happy to hear any opinions - Basic summary... Best way to push over 400rwkw with 20.

(Quick note. Out of 15,000 i can push 400rwkw from my turbo. WIN ME OVER GUYS! :) )

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Takes less then $15,000 to make 400 with the turbo ford, lol.

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
ill give you an idea of how my turbo ls1 went. modifications
heads and cam
gt42 turbo running 8psi
that made 530rwhp at 5500. my fuel system wasnt big enough to support any higher rpm.

it went well and was fun to drive. but it then put a hole in a piston. so id be careful what you do. and if you really want to give it hell youll need some forged pistons.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
ive had mates that own worked LS's that bang limiter every weekend that dont miss a beat

then ive seen others with turbos that break everything.

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
How mechanically minded are you?

The more you can do yourself the better.

So far I've spent 3500 on fuel system, from tank to injectors. I went a little overboard so that it can support more power down the track.
And 3000 on turbo "Kit"
If your handy with a mig welder or better still a tig welder, you should be able to do your exhaust for under 1500 in stainless.
If you installed the kit yourself you'd also save the 3000 on instal
And if your handy enough, you can make your turbo manifolds, dump pipes and intercoolers piping yourself, saving considerably on the turbo kit.

VZImpulseSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
'79 HZ Ute
How mechanically minded are you?

The more you can do yourself the better.

So far I've spent 3500 on fuel system, from tank to injectors. I went a little overboard so that it can support more power down the track.
And 3000 on turbo "Kit"
If your handy with a mig welder or better still a tig welder, you should be able to do your exhaust for under 1500 in stainless.
If you installed the kit yourself you'd also save the 3000 on instal
And if your handy enough, you can make your turbo manifolds, dump pipes and intercoolers piping yourself, saving considerably on the turbo kit.

I'm still pretty young mate, and haven't done heaps of work. Did a fair bit of work experience at a few performance shops here in perth, and did a bit, full cam packages with exhausts etc, stripped a few engines... With help i can do whatever, but by myself im useless as all buggery to be honest mate.

I'd like to think i could do some of the work myself, but i'm very cautious to be honest...

My main concern is, i can afford to do all the work, but i couldn't really afford to do much else if something went on me and i needed a new engine or something...

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Without sounding like a prick mate.. You answered your own question there.. Increasing performance (in most cases) opens up the ability for things to go wrong.. If you spend your entire budget on a big FI setup.. Can you afford to not have a car while you save cash to fix it?

I went overboard on a WRX 5 years back.. Living pay to pay.. It kept breaking.. And I was hitching lifts to work or catching buses as there were no other options for me.. It was a massive pain in the rear.

VZImpulseSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
'79 HZ Ute
Yeah i know what you mean mate. Thats also why i'm trying to get peoples opinions on what the best thing to do for power is. I know a wrote a bit of a novel in the original thread but it was to give an indication of where i stand at the moment, and you've been able to give me some good feedback. Thanks mate :)

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
Age is no barrier. I'm 21, though I am a trade qualified diesel fitter,

I've spent 3months on and off doingmy turbo build from scratch. In all honesty it wasnt hard, just frustrating. If youve got timeyoud be able.to do.it yourself, just do your research, on here and elsewhere, get as much advice and as.many opinions as you can and the decide how you want to do it.

As I said above, I've so far kept it well under 10,000, and I'm hoping to atleast get 500rwhp(370kw) on a stock motor with only mod being valbesprings. Then, I want to push the car and try to crack 600rwhp(450kw), still keeping it under ten k.

Just outta interest, what sort of vehicle are you going to put it in?

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Yeah i know what you mean mate. Thats also why i'm trying to get peoples opinions on what the best thing to do for power is. I know a wrote a bit of a novel in the original thread but it was to give an indication of where i stand at the moment, and you've been able to give me some good feedback. Thanks mate :)

No worries mate.. My biggest suggestion would be to go the turbo kit.. But probably don't take it over 5-7psi..
From what I've read LS1's are hit and miss on stock internals once any more boost gets thrown into them.