Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how much oil for 5,7L ?

dpracing

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
how much oil does a 5.7 in a vx take... replacing filter ??

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Around 6.2L, it should say it in your manual.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Good question, they revised the capacity during VX production, the VX handbook says 5 litres including filter, when my VX SS had the new VYII pistons fitted back in 2003 they replaced the oil filler tube and dipstick with the revised set up, and changed the capacity to 5.5 litres, I have the part numbers of the revised set up if you need them and a Holden bulletin about the revision. Going back to your original question when my VX SS has been serviced by Holden and an independent shop I have had various quantities for oil used on the receipts varying from 5 litres to 6 litres, I guess it may depend on how well they let it drain before refilling. When they have supposedly put in 5.5 litres if you check it hot after stopping for a few minutes ie during a refuelling it is usually at the full mark or just a tiny bit over, if however you let it sit overnight and check it the next morning the level is usually above the full and just into the first ripple on the dip stick. If I was doing it myself I would let it drain very well and pop in about 5.5 litres, but I don't think 6 litres would do any harm if it was drained well before refilling. I think the later Ls1's were increased slightly again so maybe VY handbooks say 6.2 litres.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
My handbook says 5.8l. Usually takes a touch over 5l to get to full mark though

Whitesack07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S
My handbook says 5.8l. Usually takes a touch over 5l to get to full mark though

Just replaced my oil an filter about 15 mins ago, i used the 5L bottle an its full now

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
5 wasn't enough in my s2 vx ss, I use 5.7 and that fills to the first ripple

lsx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.7L M6
Good question, they revised the capacity during VX production, the VX handbook says 5 litres including filter, when my VX SS had the new VYII pistons fitted back in 2003 they replaced the oil filler tube and dipstick with the revised set up, and changed the capacity to 5.5 litres, I have the part numbers of the revised set up if you need them and a Holden bulletin about the revision. Going back to your original question when my VX SS has been serviced by Holden and an independent shop I have had various quantities for oil used on the receipts varying from 5 litres to 6 litres, I guess it may depend on how well they let it drain before refilling. When they have supposedly put in 5.5 litres if you check it hot after stopping for a few minutes ie during a refuelling it is usually at the full mark or just a tiny bit over, if however you let it sit overnight and check it the next morning the level is usually above the full and just into the first ripple on the dip stick. If I was doing it myself I would let it drain very well and pop in about 5.5 litres, but I don't think 6 litres would do any harm if it was drained well before refilling. I think the later Ls1's were increased slightly again so maybe VY handbooks say 6.2 litres.

Why new pistons?

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Why new pistons?

There were hundreds of VT VX's VY1's rebuilt under warranty for noisy engines and oil consumption issues, it plagued LS1's for many years. The dealers were flat out at the time doing rebuilds and changeover engines. There were lots of issues with early LS1's. They revised the pistons 2 or 3 times trying to get on top of the problems. Most were fixed under warranty at the time, they offered to update mine and offered another 3 year warranty on the engine so I took advantage of the offer even though mine was not too bad.

lsx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.7L M6
Good old piston slap I remember that, I just thought it was in the early VTs. The VX s2 ls1's had a recall on the fuel gauge?