Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much power can a Getrag 5spd Handle

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
I got a VXII 5spd S-Pack and i am toying with the idea of charging it...
Roughly 200rwkw.
Just wondering if the gearbox will handle this?
I drive the car pretty hard..

I also plan on putting a LSD 3.7 in and an exedy HD clutch to strengthen the driveline abit...

Hey mate, when i first got my VV manual, i use to hell give it a beating, exspcially the 1st to 2nd chrip, and it held up pretty good aye

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
I got a VXII 5spd S-Pack and i am toying with the idea of charging it...
Roughly 200rwkw.
Just wondering if the gearbox will handle this?
I drive the car pretty hard..

I also plan on putting a LSD 3.7 in and an exedy HD clutch to strengthen the driveline abit...

Hey mate, when i first got my VV manual, i use to hell give it a beating, exspcially the 1st to 2nd chrip, and it held up pretty good aye

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 4.2L L67 T56 :D
the VS ecotec 5-spd had the t5...

Hey mate the VS SI Manual had the T5, the SII has the getrag, just thought i'd clear that up for ya :thumbsup:

So are ya gonna charge your VX or what? My VS will be hopefully sometime in '08, i reckon looking into whats involved with dropping in a T56 would be worthwhile. I saw one on ebay a week or so ago for 2K, came with some extras and only had 26,500 k's on it. Hopefully they wont be too hard to swap over!

Cheers

vr_owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 3.8lt executive
what supercharger are ya going for?

vkman76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5.7
i have a getrag behing a hsv 5.7 putting out around 190 rwkw and so far had done 25000kms with no problems,, I drive it pretty hard but I dont do burnouts or anything much.

red_le_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs s pac supercharged v6 custom
Manuals

Hey all, the T5 (Borg warner) box was used VN-VS S1 on the S2 they converted to the German - yes German Getrag box and still use them! then of course there is the Tremec T56 6 speed. We all would love the T56 but not all of us can afford it! I Currently have 3 manuals, a VR T5 a VS T5 and a VT Getrag - and from a drivers point of view the Getrag is the smoothest of them all! Yes they are all fairly stock - Paceys and a 2.5' the most extreme of the mods - but they all cop abuse and i believe the Getrag handles it best. Value for money lies with the Getrag - i'd never convert to a T5 - but for those with deeper pockets the T56 is awesome to drive!