Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How Much Should I Expect To Pay?

L

lil_bonk_frog

I'm looking around for a new car at the moment and have just had a look at a 1990 VN 5.0litre 5sp. Body is prefect, and interior has been kept well. I havent heard it run as yet, thats tomorrow. They are asking $7,500 for it. I have been told this is a little steep. I have also been told that they have alot of problems and am better off with a VP or something newer. Could someone please some light on the situation for me.
Thanks
JeN

Leo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5.0 Executive
That sounds a bit steep for a VN but it depends how many ks and what acessories and how good a nic it's in.
The red book prices them at about $3500 I thiink, I haven't looked lately.
In the end it's what the owner will accept for it I guess

L

lil_bonk_frog

well its only done 133,000k's its only had one owner, and they havent driven it in a few months. its got no air con or anything fancy..and from the looks of it its been taken care of. and i live in the country so prices are a little more up here. It needs a new windscreen and has an oil leak. so..yeah i dont know

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
Is it a Berlina, Exec, Calais etc?

Genuine 5 Speed V8 VN's are pretty hard to find, but if it's an exec then 7k is a bit steep. I had a VN Berlina 5.0L that had 130,000klms on the clock which I paid $6500 for almost two years ago came with the powerpack option so it had central, pwr windows, cruise, LSD.

Cheers

Jake

L

lil_bonk_frog

I have just been and taken the lovely beast for a test drive...damn its nice to drive. Its got LSD and external fuel pump (woowoo). Full service history, standard stereo. 2 and half inch exhaust. interior is perfect. In its life its had a new radiator, exhaust, the plates on the top of the strut towers to make it easier to adjust the camber (i dont know what they are called) and new power steering pump thing (shrugs) its got New tyres, 11months rego and rwc. His brother owns one of the best mechanic shops in town....so it has been well looked after as i said before 133,000 k's. It has been sitting for 12months. Can anything go wrong with it if it has been sitting for that long. I'm so in love with it, but i dont want to jump at it if its too costly. Oh and its just an exec. The dude said it has never done over 3k revs in its life..i dont know if i should believe that or not....im sure at one stage he would of given it a bit more then that.
JeN

C

clinker1212

Well to give you a for instance- I paid 9k for my VS and it came with ROH 17" alloys, fogs, bull bar, spotties (I too live in the country) and 6 months rego- nothing wrong with it. I'd try and knock the price down about 2 grand- you never know-- he may settle in the middle. I don't think it matters if it was sitting for 12 months as long as it was run on the odd occassion-- Otherwise there are a few things you would probably need to do--Good luck with it in any case

Clint

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like a pretty immaculate example if the blokes genuine and if it's what you want then go for it. Probably not worth $7500, I'd offer $6500 and see how keen he is to sell. Like I said in my previous post 5 speed V8 VN's are pretty rare. You can't really compare a 5.0L to a V6, they're a much better motor and with such low klms it's hardly ran in

I don't know about anyone else but I went looking with a mate at 5.0L VN's, we spent 3 weekends in Brissy and most of them were sh!t heaps. Ended up paying 10k for the SS he wanted.

Cheers

Jake

P

pythian

$7500 sounds WAYYY too much, even if it is a 5 speed V8, its a 14 year old car, keep that in mind.

i just bought (well almost bought, got my deposit on it, just waiting for the 3K from my bank to go with my savings) a VP Commodore EXEC Series II,.. its in immaculate condition, body is all straight, interior is very well kept and engine is like new .. suspension and brakes have all be upgraded, with adjustables on the back, they wanted $5K.. but i talked them to $4,700.. going to pick it up either tomorrow or next day can't wait!

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
7500 is a lot for a VN Exec, but the V8s in these cars are on another level compared with the previous 8s. (read VL!)

Get a RAC? test on it to see if they pick up on any potential problems as you seem to be a bit hesitant on a few of the things and your knowledge doesn't sound the best (no offence ).

The report will outline any problems or potential problems which can help you discuss a price with the seller.

If the guy is honest about how the engine has never gone beyond 3k and the fact that is hasn't done much driving etc, then I would be very cautious in the first few weeks of owning it, make sure you don't start revving its guys out straight away. Give it a full service, and then take it for a nice drive on the freeway slowly giving the engine more and more work.

If you start treating it like **** straight away you'll end up with a smoking, leaking oil burning 8 cylinder.

GOod luck and let us know how it goes.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
QUOTE (pythian @ Mar 17 2004, 12:12 PM) $7500 sounds WAYYY too much, even if it is a 5 speed V8, its a 14 year old car, keep that in mind.

i just bought (well almost bought, got my deposit on it, just waiting for the 3K from my bank to go with my savings) a VP Commodore EXEC Series II,.. its in immaculate condition, body is all straight, interior is very well kept and engine is like new .. suspension and brakes have all be upgraded, with adjustables on the back, they wanted $5K.. but i talked them to $4,700.. going to pick it up either tomorrow or next day can't wait!
You have to remember the VP is only a EV6, totally different kettle of fish. It's also one of the cheapest I've seen with the extras, sure theres a few in the trading post every week but once you go and check them out they're sh!t heaps. Sadly 5k doesnt get you much these days. Sounds like you got a damn good buy

Cheers

Jake