Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much to fix these problems?

lepht93

Well, you're wrong.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore Executive
So I just put a deposit (so pretty much bought) a 92 VP exec sedan, got it for $1000, towing it tomorrow. When i first looked at it it had a rattling coming from the engine so i got a mechanic to just look at it (family friend). As i suspected the issue was the harmonic balancer (its cracked), also seems I need a new fan belt, and new water hose? I'm not sure if its the water hose but it was taped at the end and seemed to have a leak. Then there was the most expensive problem, the car leaked oil as soon as I turned it off under the gearbox and the mechanic said something about a ring seal which would need the gearbox taken out to replace?
How much would each of these be to fix (on trade price, dad has friends in the industry) minus labour, or price of part and then labour.
Also needs new tyres but I have a whole year til i plan on registering it coz im still on my Ls, so no big problem.

Here's some photos too:

picture9im.png

picture11y.png

picture10mg.png

Thanks!

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
The harmonic balancer you should be able to get around 130-160 trade price, the hose and belt shouldn't be too much I wouldn't think, maybe 50-70 bucks for both. Not sure about the transmission though

lepht93

Well, you're wrong.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore Executive
I shouldve listened a little more when he said it ha :banstick:

could I install the belt and water hose myself easily?

nathg

Reaction score
Members Ride
MX83
Yeah rear main seal would be the problem for the leak underneath. Very common problem with Commodores. Far as I know, trans has to be removed and it is just a smallish o-ring seal in there that leaks.

lepht93

Well, you're wrong.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore Executive
so how much would the actual seal be? and would it be repairable in a garage (no hoist)?
I've read somewhere series II VN and VP engines are easier to replace it?

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
ive got a harmonic balancer for a VP here in good condition, $50 +postage and its yours. PM me if you want it :)

013sv90

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden sv90
my mate just got the front seal of his gearbox done on a vr coz hes oil leakerd out heaps and he took it to the wreckers and got them to fix it, the seal was 13 bucks and for the wreckers to pull the gearbox out put the seal in and put it bak together was 300 i thought that was pretty cheap... thats gives u a sorta rough price i guess

lepht93

Well, you're wrong.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore Executive
this guy who came with me today was talking about how hes done his friends commodores and he seems to know quite a bit, does his own work on his car (WH statesman, immaculate), do you think its possible for him to replace the rear main seal at my house? and has anyone got the part number for the rear main seal for this model?

EDIT:

just been told he can replace all those parts, I just need to buy them, that will set me back... 200$ on ebay?
sweet. :)

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
or less if you buy the balancer off me :p