Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how much to supercharge/turbo a vs?

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
how much would i be looking at to supercharge/turbo a '97 vs? could i do it myself? eg what needs to be changed? i want some more performance but i still want to keep my vs for a while..... or should i just look at a 180sx or skyline? (shudder!)

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
Turbo/blower shouldn't be your first option. I'd suggest:
1.CAI
2.Exhuast/extractors
3.Custom cam
4.Some head work
5.Custom tune.
6.Change the diff
after all that, l'd suggest getting a blower.;)
So far, l'm up to stage 2. Saving up for that cam!!!

2_SeeK_U

Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
You can however, l forgot to mention, get away with a factory blower for less then $2000, l've seen them as cheap as $1200. Getting it fitted might cost abit, just taking a stab l'd say about $300, thats just a guess though.

I've wanted to get a turbo for a while but the insurance is way to much for turbs, working on just the engine isn't quite as expensive.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
factory blower. sounds nice.

what is exactly involvede if i wanted to install a factory blower. its a supercharger, yeah? doesnt that mean that normally i would be needing a new crank?
how much boost would the factory blower have? is it worth the money or should i go the whole hog?

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
In all honesty, it'll cost an arm and a leg. You might be better off buying something that came factory fitted with a super or turbocharger if thats what you want. Sure it can be done alright but doing the job properly can run into 5 figures no worries and doing it on the cheap will never cut it with a properly boosted engine. You might get a BOV and a little boost but it won't take much punishment nor even come close to outperforming the VLT's and Skylines of today.

There are the Castlemaine Rod Shop kits which go for around $1800 or so which is a 'on the cheap' option, they're just custom mounts, pulley, belts and what they call a SC14 Blower which came fitted to imported Toyotas such as the MR2 (These blowers can be had from the wreckers for as little as $200). Being such a small blower they run very little boost, even if you could combat detonation with a top notch fuel system, intercooler and a programmable ECU, it would still become ineffecient after 8-10psi. Slapping one on a stock ECOTEC would never run right, not in my opinion, it'd probably run lean and be a big drama for a small power gain.

The Factory Eaton Blower will not bolt on. Even with the Ecotec SC manifold/valley the heads are still different, as are the exhaust manifolds, injectors and fuel system including ECU and cam. Not to mention the lower compression ratio of the SC bottom end. If you want to go this way get a complete motor and take the conversion path, it's cheaper in the end and crate motors are available from the states. Again it'll be 5 figures once finished and tuned.

At very least you'd be looking at....

For supercharging: A blower preferably something capable of producing respectable boost that comes on low in the rev range. Custom Fabrication of Blower mounts, pulley/s and a belt $2000+

Or for Turbo: I'd suggest two smaller turbos to feed a V6, set-up properly a big single will work but it'll have tonnes of lag. In other words it won't make power down low and will tend to come on very strong and late. $2000+

Then for anything boosted theres the mandatory

- Fuel system inc injectors, fuel pressure regulators, fuel pumps. $600+
- Programmable Engine Management to allow real time tuning of the fuel and ignition maps etc $800+
- Intercooler, piping and/or a very very functional water/methonol injection setup $800+

Even then your still stuck with a factory standard bottom end running high compression. How long this will hold up is anyones guess. Regardless of what people say the V6 doesn't handle boost well. Most performance gurus seem to recommend a rebuild on anything with over 150,000klms before adding forced induction.

Another consideration is most vehicle mods should begin with brakes, suspension, gearbox and diff if your really serious about building a quick street car, and not just a glorified family hack. It's not much good having a quick car which doesn't stop for small children, struggles through a roundabout or leaves pieces of gearbox and diff on the road after a quick stab. Don't even think about a cam until you know whether the project is going to go further, different camshaft profiles give different results, hence suiting different applications. Guys out there hold that secret camshaft profile dearly for one reason, it's somewhere you can either make or lose power. Alot of the time the right cam becomes the difference between power and 'useable' power.

Sorry about the long post, it just seems to get asked alot and never answered . Maybe it'll help someone else and we can build on it or maybe it'll bore everyone to tears. As an end note the above is only my opinion and I don't mean to put anyone off any future plans or motoring dreams.

Cheers and G'luck

Jake.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Best bet would be to track down a Factory S/C 6 (L67) as they are setup to take the boost, around the $4500-$5000 mark I think from memory (from FIT), but might get cheaper from a wreak.
Then you can run the factory blower setup or switch to turbo.
But this way I would assume you could be all done for around the $10K mark or fully worked bro for more around the $20K
Cheers

C

clinker1212

I suggest you visit the Forced Air Inductions Website for more info. I have spent much time on exploring this topic and found them to have a good amount of info.

Even if you are able to sell your old engine for a new factory S/C 6 you will still need to purchase the S/C ECU. You would have to check to see if the sump and wiring harness is compatible and also probably modify the engine mounts. You may aslo need to change your fuel reg and pump. I am unsure if there are other things you need to do. :hit:

But what I do know is that it is much more convenient to actually purchase a S/C vehicle. You needn't go through the dramas and have peace of mind. I think the factory s/c's can be modified to run up to 10psi without to much trouble. I have heard of 14psi boosts with some mods too. Last time I checked COME racing was desining a kit for them also- Can't wait to see that. The major lesson is that there is no way around spending money if you want a significant increase in power.

As for me I am going to save all my bikkis for a Monaro - should be able to afford it in about ten years :D

2_SeeK_U

Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
I never realised that the factory s/c isn't just a "bolt on" into a exec. I've seen on eBay afew times just the blower selling at over $1200 and thought l could just put it straight onto my car, not thinking about everything else l needed!!

So, if your looking at getting a s/c fitted, your looking at about $4200+?

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
A very decent charger would be expensive yeah..

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
The M90 isn't a striaght bolt on as the L67 runs different heads, valley ummm I can't remember what else, but no it's not a straight swap.
Cheers