Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much?

V

VSSleeper

Garfa, 12" subbies suit holden better, a 10" even in a good box doesnt quite have the punch of a 12" due to size of car, As Fitty said " Go JL sub " top quality sub!!! reasonably priced as well, JB hifi do the best deals for subs........a good amp amp helps as well, however theres alot of overpriced stuff around, i found that boss amps work really well, thre very well priced and do a fantastic job, some quality 6x9's and a pair of 6" fronts, with the stock VS/VR tweeters creates a very loud crystal clear pumpin system.....

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
if you want some good subs that are great for the money go to jaycar. 10 inch carbon fiber for $200 and 12 for $220. they are the best subs for the money and jaycar's $400 class d amp will **** all over alpine and clarion and give a rockford a run for its money.
leave all the other stuff alone and go jaycar. unless a brand is 1/2 price dont bother because it will not compete with jaycar.
leave the 4 and 2 channel amps alone. if its for a sub get a class D. class D were made for subs.

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I can wholeheartdly agree with that. Also, a 10" sounds fine in a commodore.

V

VSSleeper

You definatley need a good amp, dont know about this class d thing however boss amps from strathfield cost about $120, and thats 1000 watt, 4 channel, to get the best out of your 6 x 9's and 6" fronts have to run through amp, otherwise your stressing your speakers....10" subs are made for the smaller cars such as Subaru's, lancers, for clarity and punch have to go 12" in good box........also some advice......dont bolt your subby box to boot floor, use some velcro and staple it to bottom of your subby box, face subby towards back of car not front.....ask any pro installer, when you bolt your subby box to the floor of your boot is majority of the time the cause of vibrating outers ( number plate vibrates, bootlid vibrates ) on your car, the velcro on your subby box will hold it in place......

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
thank guys now I have enough info!
But one thing though, it sounds like the boss amp is pretty decent and can you tell me where I can find this amp (Im in victoria metro).
And one other thing - Where can I get the JL subs? Apart from ebay.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Boss amps are not decent. They are piles of inefficent cow dung. If I install 10 of them...2 will come back to me for repairs. and 3 will go back to the manufacturer for replacement. The smartest thing I ever did was become an authorised BOSS repair agent. They keep me in business when times are tough in my area. I've never had to repair a Jaycar amp...well, there was this once but it certainly wasn't Jaycars fault! lol

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
12voltking knows his stuff. in the end you get what you pay for and you dont pay much for boss. i suppose it depends on if you want a cranking system for around $600 or one that blows most others out of the water.....

Fitty

Reaction score
OK, the thing with car stereo is you get what you pay for, more than anything else I reckon. JL are simply awesome - they make some of the best subs around. If you check out this thread where I've listed the system I want, you'll be able to check out the specs on some good quality gear.

I don't know what your deal with eBay is - you can get seriously good prices (although you want Australian, and CHEAP postage, subs etc weigh a shitload). So my advice is not to scrimp on your system. Research it as much as you can, then save and go for the best the first time around. Do it bit by bit if needs be, but don't do it on the cheap.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
i completely agree.
people who think they get cranking system for $600 have never heard a good system OR dont want to spend much because they are satisfied with that system.
it usually better to buy your sysytem in bits if you want a good system but only have a bit of cash at that time.
ebay is ok but if you want to really get a bargain go to www.shopthestates.com and then you can buy stuff from america and not need to live there. some of the online shops dont sell overseas. shop the states just post it to you once they recieve the shipment from the online shop. american online stores have great prices. eg: alpine spx-177r component 6.5 inch for $228 )(they are about $800 over here). you dont get a warranty but when your buying high end stuff you dont expect to have to need a warranty. or JL TR650-CSi for $118.
fitty how come all jl? i am not critising, just interested. also if your planning on putting those jl splits into a VS then you will need to chop out the plastic pod. that will sound really bad so probably best to make up a wooden encloser. can be a bit annoying. maybe just go with 6 inch splits if you dont want the hassel.

V

VSSleeper

12voltking, remind me not to take my car to you for an audio system, ive got a boss amp and its perfect....i run infinity 6 x 9's and Rockford 6" fronts with 12" JL Audio subby in JL box, it was professionally installed and i have never had any issues, at a lvl of 26 ( headset goes to 36 ) its pumpin 89db, the lo pass filter on the boss amp basically pushes all bass and low end sound through subby and my other speakers give mid to high, at a lvl of 30 the clarity is awesome and bass is smooth with plenty of punch......you could spend some serious dollars however, if you sat in my car then sat in someones that had spent another $2000-$5000, really it would be hard for you to hear a major difference in sound, Boss amps come with warranty and available in melbourne metro from strathfield car radio, ask the guys there, they sell heaps as it works very efficiently....JL Audio subby in box from JB Hifi.....remember mate, you want clarity, punch, smoothness and a loud sound, not a competition sound system unless you have serious money, from what you said it, just a clear pumpin system....