Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How picky can you get

old mans ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
Was just picking through the start up options on the computer in my VZ S Alloytec ute.

No wonder these programming guys have had so much trouble with the fuel gauge issue.

Was looking at the settings which link radio volume with road speed and what do you know

The display reads speed dependAnt which should be dependEnt so it looks like whoever set it up first couldn't spell.

Would have thought that GM may have slipped in a spelling correction with all these recalibration upgrades for our fuel readouts but I suppose that would mean that some quality control guy at Holden actually noticed it and did something about it.

My ute is a January 05 build with the last software upgrade in July 05. Just wonder if the error is still present in later utes, or indeed if it is common across the range of VZ V6s or has it even spread to the V8s.

Nit picking it may be but surprising nonethe less. I suppose if I reported it to Holden their response would be " our engineers have been so busy working on a fix for the fuel gauge problem that we did not know we had, that we did not have time to even proof read any of the original screen displays".

Just curious so next time you startup why not check and let me knowl

furrhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy 3.8
Fuel gauge issue

Hi,
I just read your note with interest. I am no computer nut so can you please explain why the wrong spelling would make a difference with the fuel gauge etc etc.
Thanks..

old mans ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
Holden's Lexiconic Challenge

Was just saying that if the programmers can't even spell, its no wonder they are having problems sorting out the fuel gauge issue (which from other posts sees to have finally been conquered)

W

wawoo

The American programmers can spell just fine, they have an issue with callibrating gauges though - perhaps it's a problem between litres and gallons? miles and kilometers? Of course, I am assuming the gauges are made in the US.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
The guages are made by Australian Arrow in Carrum Victoria, the sender units are a Delphi product

furrhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy 3.8
fuel gauge

Ok, But are the fuel gauge issues really fixed now???????????????/

old mans ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
So who is responsible

Doctor Bob said:
The guages are made by Australian Arrow in Carrum Victoria, the sender units are a Delphi product

So who is responsible for the spelling mistakes in the display. Do we blame the gauge manufacturer, the sender unit manufacturer or maybe the buck should stop with GMH.

In my business if my suppliers or employees get it wrong I wear it. Doesn't seem that way with GM.

Crap gauges, a fuel tank that has only 58 litres usable fuel, and a hard tonneau cover that lealks in a fog (to be fixed with a revised seal kit I am told)

Not all is lost though, recently saw a gasGet set advertised in a national advertising brochure.

The spelling mistake in the radio volume display is neither here nor there...just another example of Holden's lack of attention to detail and quality control.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
as far as i have seen the latest calibration setup fixes the issues.
the spelling mistake is no real drama as you can see by the "lealks" in the previous post (kidding) but it clearly illustrates that anyone can make simple spelling mistakes.
Actually there has been major repercussions internally because of this & the only reason it hasnt been released earlier is to ensure its right this time.
Where did you hear that the tank only has 58 litres usable fuel?

rob

old mans ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
58 litres

Doctor Bob said:
as far as i have seen the latest calibration setup fixes the issues.
the spelling mistake is no real drama as you can see by the "lealks" in the previous post (kidding) but it clearly illustrates that anyone can make simple spelling mistakes.
Actually there has been major repercussions internally because of this & the only reason it hasnt been released earlier is to ensure its right this time.
Where did you hear that the tank only has 58 litres usable fuel?

rob

Twice I have run my tank dry. The first time unintentional with 528 km at 11.4l/100 and used 58.8 litres to fill. The second time intentional and used 58.7 litres to fill.

So 58 litres of fuel is directly from my practical experience.

Complained to dealer who told me there were two pickup points in the tank and that the second (lower) hose was probably sitting too high.

Looking forward to the new software upgrade, my seal kit and some dealer magic to find me some more usable fuel especially as other posts on this site have at least two incidences of 70 litres being squeezed into a VZ S ute tank.

Have printed out that post and giving it to my dealer. Dubious as there are also other posts on this site which say they have never been able to put 60 litres into a tank, even from dead empty.

Only time will tell which is correct and if I have a vehicle that can achieve a range of over 500 kms on a tank of fuel. (DTE on refill usually reads 740 km)