Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to adjust belt tension on l98

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
might be a dumb question but i cant find the 1/2 socket to adjust belt tension, looked up the belt tensioner and says its automatic, how do i get the belt off it? do i need to put a socket on one of the bolts maybe?

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
might be a dumb question but i cant find the 1/2 socket to adjust belt tension, looked up the belt tensioner and says its automatic, how do i get the belt off it? do i need to put a socket on one of the bolts maybe?
It’s a 15mm, you can’t adjust it as it’s spring loaded. If it’s slipping I suggest replacing with a new one as it’s most likely worn out

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
It’s a 15mm, you can’t adjust it as it’s spring loaded. If it’s slipping I suggest replacing with a new one as it’s most likely worn out
so how would i get the belt off? theres a ticking noise and i think it may be coming from the idler pulleys or harmonic balancer, and want to check it but cant cause the belts on

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
so how would i get the belt off? theres a ticking noise and i think it may be coming from the idler pulleys or harmonic balancer, and want to check it but cant cause the belts on
actutually from memory the v6 does have a 1/2 inch square drive. My brain was thinking ls engine for some reason. Just plug a breaker bar or ratchet into the square drive. It will only move in one direction.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Take the fans out and it's really easy.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
It's a bit tricky with the fans in. Take them out and it's really easy.
i just tried moving that 15mm bolt on the top left, looks like a tensioner, and pulled pretty hard with 2 spanners connected together, and it moved the slightest and then started tightening the bolt. and do the fans get in the way somehow?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I can't get the belt off with fans in. It's too tight to get my hands in there to move it without removing them.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
I can't get the belt off with fans in. It's too tight to get my hands in there to move it without removing them.
oh true, yeah i cant even get the belt loose enough, i dont wanna start snapping bolts from pushing too hard, should it be that tight?

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
This is wha you’re looking for. It’s just to the right of the water pump. Fans don’t need to come out, just take the air intake pipe off

Attachments

• IMG_0312.png
    IMG_0312.png
    1,019.6 KB · Views: 50

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
This is wha you’re looking for. It’s just to the right of the water pump. Fans don’t need to come out, just take the air intake pipe off
yeah thats the one for the alloytec and thats what i was looking for but the l98 dosent seem to have it