Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] How to bodgey you car to get home or for other reasons

Excale

Aussie N Proud!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 5sp Manual[SOLD], VN V6[SOLD],VR S 5sp
Very nice post mate.

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
Very nice post mate.

glad its appreciated.

heres a couple of others:

1. How to get rid of carbon deposits on your valves without pulling the head off your engine-for carby vehicles only
first warm the car up,then open your bonnet(duh,lol)
remove your air filter assembly to access your carby.
average idle is around 1000 rpm for most cars. with the filter off use one hand to increase the rpm to around 2-3000rpm or higher
(or even a bit higher but dont rev the shite out of it & make sure to keep it at a constant rev!! this is important)
then with the other hand slowly pour a cup of water down your carby.
by now some of you are thinking holy shite is this guy nuts,water & petrol dont mix etc. answer is yes i am crazy but not nuts
what happens is the water burns off the carbon deposits on your valves,because the engines warm & revved up a bit it does nothing but burn
the carbon off your valves. this works & is real old school.
i have seen this done in various ways for injected engines & done it myself but its a bit more complicated & tricky for the average joe

2: fanbelt squealing like a bastard,rub the inside of a banana peel or bacon rind on the fanbelt(obviously the side where it runs against the pulleys
doesnt always work & doesnt always make it disappear completely but worth a go if you got no choice.
isnt permanent & again recommend proper repair at first opportunity.
your fanbelt usually squeals in the first place because its stretched to buggery & will require replacement. also check your tensioners as they may be on their way out which could also be why your fanbelts a bit loose.

3: cars missing like a bugger,check your spark plugs as you might have one or 2 fouled plugs. if so get a bit of sandpaper & just give them a good clean up. should resolve the problem but you eventually will have to suss out why they got fouled in the first place.

4: never throw out your chinese takeaway plastic containers. bloody handy to put your nuts,bolts,screw etc in. they are clear so you can see whats in them,easy to write on the lid whats in them & your able to stack them. if your going to pull something apart & dont have these just shoot down to the local stationary shop or supermarket & get some handy clear seal bags. then if for arguments sake you pull the whole front of your car apart you can have one bag for headlight bits,one for guard bits etc. just write on the bag where they came from. then when you go to put it back together you will know straight away what goes where etc. you will also be able to tell whats missing right away.

5:have a commodore with a factory radio? well you dont need no fancy genuine holden stereo removal tools. just get a bit of wire coathanger cut into two reasonable lengths,then bend the lenghts to roughly the distance between removal holes & hey presto instant genuine stereo removal tool.

c'mon guys & gals,you cant have all been raised on if its broke throw it away & buy another. some of you must be able to throw in your 2 cents worth. at this rate i'll have no tricks of the trade left up my sleeve,lol. so add your own.
again i will add,some of the repair methods are not permanent & will require proper repair at first available opportunity
in this little segment suggestion 2 with the fanbelt is the only one that will need proper repair. suggestion 3 will help you out but as has been said you will have to figure out why one or more plugs are fouled. the rest is just handy hints & a bit of common sense. before anyone says anything about sanding your plugs etc with sandpaper,it does no harm. machines are even sold with emery paper(sandpaper of sorts) attachments for cleaning your plugs up.
good luck,have fun & happy motoring

illusionalvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
toyota lexcen - vr.
if you lose the wheel nuts for your stockies just weld them on.

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
if you lose the wheel nuts for your stockies just weld them on.

would work well.....until you got a flat & needed to change it in the middle of nowhere,lol
1 gold star for effort & thought:D
if you happen loose a set of wheel nuts for whatever reason,this is a safer & easier solution: 2 wheel nuts on 4 stud hub will suffice as a temp fix only or if 5 stud hub 3 wheel nuts & 6 stud hub 4 wheel nuts. if not enough wheel nuts just pinch them off the other wheels on your vehicle. this is a temp fix only & i recommend getting a couple of wheel nuts to replace lost ones at first opportunity:)

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Also if you get a hole in your fuel tank an need an emergency repair you can shove the corner of a cake of soap into the hole and twist it off, the soap reacts with the fuel and the leak stops straight away. It's a good fix to get you out of trouble an can be done with petrol pouring out of the hole.

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
Also if you get a hole in your fuel tank an need an emergency repair you can shove the corner of a cake of soap into the hole and twist it off, the soap reacts with the fuel and the leak stops straight away. It's a good fix to get you out of trouble an can be done with petrol pouring out of the hole.

nice one dude. have heard that one a few years ago but as i havent tried it didnt add it in. could be especially good for the stupid plastic tanks most cars have now

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vt II acclaim
in my old 76mdl gallant with a magna motor in it, the fuel pump **** it self and i used the wiper bottle squirter to get fuel to the carbi, would get 5 mins at 100kph before having to refill wiper washer bottle,

give the wipers a squirt and fill up the carbi :D

seen it on bush mechanics thats were i got the idea from..... bush mechanics is a group of aborig' guy's out the bush and just keep fixing **** hat breaks.. like they got a flat Tyre and filled it with hay and kept driving lol.

edit- sorry about the spelling, was watching UFC too :D

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
in my old 76mdl gallant with a magna motor in it, the fuel pump **** it self and i used the wiper bottle squirter to get fuel to the carbi, would get 5 mins at 100kph before having to refill wiper washer bottle,

give the wipers a squirt and fill up the carbi :D

seen it on bush mechanics thats were i got the idea from..... bush mechanics is a group of aborig' guy's out the bush and just keep fixing **** hat breaks.. like they got a flat Tyre and filled it with hay and kept driving lol.

edit- sorry about the spelling, was watching UFC too :D

good one dude. a pumps a pump at the end of the day & if it gets ya home thats the main thing:D even at a snails pace
i'll probably cop some shite for saying this but,most people these days wouldnt know how to fix things to make it work in anyway possible. the more common fix is usually throw some money at it by buying a new part to fix the problem or ring a mobile mechanical service of some descrption. the old school way was always to figure out why it dont work,how it should work then make it work & thats how i was taught. if you had to buy something it was only because it was the only option that was either safer or necessary.

VS 666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS acclaim
carby motor

If you run out of fuel... and manage to get a jerry can in and it still wont start (usually takes like 10 litres of fuel but I only had a 5 litre mower can)... take the air cleaner off and cover the hole with ur hands (not completely) just give it an asthma attack so it chokes whilst turning the key... should make it suck harder and eventually start...

undersuspicion

Now That's How We Roll!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SV8 Series 2
not sure if this has been mentioned... but if you get a flat tyre and you are stuck squirt the tyre with a flammible liquid i.e. lighter fluid and light up with a lighter i have seen it lit with a deodorant can and a lighter to keep the hands away (providing you have one) and the tyre will literally pop back on due to hot air expanding :D