Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to change timing chain

brad1969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2
hey guys,

could someone give me a step by on how to change the timing chain on my VP

thanks

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Timing chain is a bit difficult to do in a car due to the bottom of the timing cover is bolted to the sump.
Things you'll need is timing cover gasket, New timing chain kit(better than buying just a chain) new tensioner. Possibly a few other gaskets depending on what you remove. I suggest doing your water pump while your at it.
The Crow heavy Duty timing set CS6VP (rrp $175) is good Might get it cheaper if youre lucky.

The Basic plan is
Drain cooling system,
Remove harmonic balancer (PITA need puller and usually a rattle gun to remove retaining nut)
Remove Water pump(actually can remain on timing cover just undo the bolts that go through the pump and cover to the block) and anything else in the way of removing timing cover.
Remove timing Cover
Rotate Engine to TDC (easier with spark plugs removed) Both dots on sprockets line up with another (cam dot at bottom crank dot at top)
Remove tensioner (if it's still there :)) chain and timing gear/sprocket from camshaft.
Check that the balance shaft timing mark line up with cam gear.
Replace sprocket/s
Use straight edge to make sure both sprockets are aligned
Fit new timing chain and tensioner ( note on tensioner there's 2 types short bolt and long bolt late model vr-to vx run long bolt some late vp's may also use long bolt. Check by examining hole threads starts deeper in on long bolt tensioners)
Check that timing chain does not foul on timing cover or balance gear
Re-assemble everthing Paying attention to make sure your gasket surfaces are clean i suggest using an aviation sealant like loctite No.3

Thats the basics if you got some mechanical skills you should breeze through it. If you dont want to remove sump i suggest using silicone or sikaflex type seleant around the sump so it doesnt leak.

Cheers Pub

PS I Reported that this thread should be moved instead of bitching about people posting in the wrong section

Last edited:

brad1969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2
thanks heaps, was my first post so wasnt 100% sure were to put it.

Thanks again

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
When should you change your timing chain. On rough you do a timing belt every 100k. But how many k's for a timing chain.

brad1969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2
easy decision for me, mines making a hell of a noise, think i read somewhere to expect to change it after around 150 000 km

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Thats for belts chains last a little longer than that

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
replaced my chain and gears recently with a rollmaster kit, beautiful piece of workmanship! lol

my engine only has 140 000km, well maintained, and the stock chain was loose as fk! you could twist it pretty far, where as the rollmaster chain was rigid as.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Weird, iv got nearly 190k on my vr and no timing chain noise what so ever.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Weird, iv got nearly 190k on my vr and no timing chain noise what so ever.

Its not only noise that identifies a shagged chain! mine didnt make any noise!

you would barely notice the performance depreciation, cause over time the timing slowly slips out of wack.. and the power slowly falls away over the years.

You actually would never no unless you opened the timing case up to have a look.

Not trying to pannic anyone into changing theirs now... Just throwing out another "could be??" for anyone who notices bad performance