Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to change timing chain

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
get a gasket kit cause your gasket will be nice and backed on, best way to egt it off (unless it peels off) is to take a flat head screwdriver, and just tap it lightly, gasket will crack off bit-by-bit
also if you mark the block sand it back smooth

89berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Berlina
after removing my sump today i found my tensioner spring sitting inside

I had the same issue with my VN when changing the timing chain. Found the tensioner smashed up in the sump with the metal spring. Quite shocking to find considering the damage it could have done to the engine. I think the issue with how long a timing chain lasts may have to do with how long your tensioner decides to stay put

v8_bomberdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 5L
im looking at doing my timing chain in my vp v8 and i found a rollmaster double row timing chain kits for $150 to my door , i just wanted to know if i need to advance the sprocket a few degrees to alow for timing chain streatch ,if so how many

driftpiglet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Executive supercharged
Vs commodore supercharged

How hard is it to do a timing chain on a supercharged v6???? If I drive normally the chain won't make a noise but if I give it half throttle the chain makes a hell off a lot off noise. Motor got re built about 3000k ago????? But it won't make a noise when it's cold. Only when the motor is at running temp

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
if you had the motor rebuilt properly that should have been changed already... not sure what your definition of "rebuilt" actually covers though, but i wouldnt expect to hear any noises like that on a freshly rebuilt engine...

Alloytec

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 VT SS
Probably detonation that you are hearing from your description.

clappy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz
just a quick Q? if the cams and chain line up at the top but the bottom timing marks on the idler cogs and crank seem out (link s on chain correct) will
this be a issue. I am replacing timing chain in 2005 vz as P 0008 keeps coming on and dealer was unable to clarify ( I believe programme was updated)
light came on 80 km later.
I am setting up to remove then replace straight away when kit arrives. Got diagram but just need that experience of the job.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Alloytec timing chain installation is nothing like a vn/vp v6/v8

There are many steps involved and you have to turn the engine to exact positions for different stages of the install... you need to find clear instructions with steps or purchase a proper workshop manual detailing the procedure.
Messing it up and not having it lined up correctly will be an issue, there's a chance you could completely stuff the engine and have a big lump of scrap metal.