Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to clean out a petrol tank??

my5ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman 5L
would if i could only drama about living in the middle of the bush?

misshsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 HSV Clubsport
would if i could only drama about living in the middle of the bush?

Just wondering how you got on with your fix, I'm about to do some Fuel Pump work to my car and wondered if you could throw any useful tips my way :)

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux Ute - Vs Ecotech Engine
Never put tanks in acid - it takes the anodized lining off the inside of the tank - nowadays tanks shouldn't need to be cleaned as the circulation & filtering system on a fuel injected car is far superior to anything in the past - waste of time & money

If you lose this protective cover - the tank will rust & fill the system with red dust - it will block filters all sorts of things

my5ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman 5L
biggest tip get someone else to do it( if you can)? the biggets hurdle is getting the internal line of the fuel pump. its a crimp fitting so you need to press the little tabs and it should slide off. The pump unit itself is tricky but a giggle and a twist will have it out, just be careful as there is a connector on the inside for the sender unit. The breather and vent lines on the tank ( if removing) are a pain in the ass as they fit through a small gap between the chasis and the body. still messing around with vents and breathers as another line perished and know i have too many ends but only 2 fittings. The ellery Manual is useless and still trying to get some info,
hopefully will fill and test run shortly?