Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to determine brake pad wear

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
A thing like no working brake lamps can cause an accident and the vehicle shouldn’t be driven until rectified. Consider that silly if you like.

City of churches comment was an attempt at a little sarcastic humour that seemed to go over your head o_O

Your free to have your view as I am and as we’ve gotten way off topic here, guess it’s time to put this issue of lax license standards to bed.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
A thing like no working brake lamps can cause an accident and the vehicle shouldn’t be driven until rectified. Consider that silly if you like.

City of churches comment was an attempt at a little sarcastic humour that seemed to go over your head o_O

Your free to have your view as I am and as we’ve gotten way off topic here, guess it’s time to put this issue of lax license standards to bed.

The city of churches comment didn't go over my head.....Fact is, all states have their share of pathetic cars and drivers, as well as their share of decent drivers and cars..

And faults like brake lights....Honestly mate, coppers are fairly intelligent, when it comes to problems with cars....They determine whether the car is save enough to drive back to A, or have it trailered....Some will even follow the car home, if it is close by, with an issue like no taillights of some description.

So maybe you need to consider how the real world operates, rather than have a blanket ruling

Craig Facey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 5.7
If your rims have enough open space you can check thickness with a straw and a marker... see youtube .....its very easy :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
If your rims have enough open space you can check thickness with a straw and a marker... see youtube .....its very easy :)
Clever simple process but the OP can't use this method on his vehicle as it has brembos o_O:oops:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
...And faults like brake lights....Honestly mate, coppers are fairly intelligent, when it comes to problems with cars.... So maybe you need to consider how the real world operates, rather than have a blanket ruling
Yean, some are inteligent while others seem to be short of a quite a few neurons and get off on power trip as is evident in the many police assaults of recent times...

I know how the world operates though catering to the lowest common denominator does require blanket rules otherwise the poor buggers do get confused... Enforcement though seems a little haphazard...

It's somewhat amusing why you seem to dislike the notion of improving driving standards and ensureing all drivers know their legal obligations... Each to their own ;)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yean, some are inteligent while others seem to be short of a quite a few neurons and get off on power trip as is evident in the many police assaults of recent times...

I know how the world operates though catering to the lowest common denominator does require blanket rules otherwise the poor buggers do get confused... Enforcement though seems a little haphazard...

It's somewhat amusing why you seem to dislike the notion of improving driving standards and ensureing all drivers know their legal obligations... Each to their own ;)

Police assaults have been happening for years....It's only recently it has really come to light, due to media coverage and the coppers (and other emergency personnel) being sick and tired of being assaulted by idiots. An assault can be determined by simple wording I'm going to hit you....So you really need to find out the exact nature of the assault to begin with

Enforcement may seem haphazard by your standards (which seem to be very high), but it does occur....Problem is, the poor bastards are run off their feet, with other things and can't always get to normal patrol duties....And when they do, they seem to use a more common sense approach, rather than your blanket ruling.

Improving driving standards????? What has that got to do with this basic maintenance items issue you're banging on about? And if anything, driving standards have dropped, because modern cars have so many gadgets concentrating for you, rather than you concentrating on driving to begin with...ie blind spot beepers, power steering, ABS etc etc....

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@vc commodore, social media and security cameras probably have some impact in bringing police assaults to light (which can only be a good thing).

But those over worked police officers that pulled a pensioner out of his home, throwning him to the ground and pepper spraying him. Only to knee him in the back and (i think) kick him a few times while on the ground. Then they sprayed him with a jet stream of water to the face to 'help' him with his pain are not the victims. These police are rightly being charged with assult and are known as the "accused".

Just like the police that went to a depresed man's house after his wife called them out of concern for him, only to see the fragile copper pepper spray and throw her husband to ground because he said "suck my dxxx" to the copper (while he was leaning against his rubbish bin with his leg up on it and his arms crossed in front of his chest). That policeman will also likley be known as the "accused", and rightly so.

Then, lets not forget the policeman that assaulted a 16yo teenager, took the phone off his friend who was videoing the incident and deleted the video proof. He then arrested the 16yo and charged him with assaulting police. Luckily his father was a tech head and paid to have the video recovered from the friends phone which hilighted the polices criminal behaviour. Charges were dropped against the 16yo and laid against the copper (think he got jail time).

Yes, enforcement is haphazard. This is primarily due to large understaffing, over work and lack of effective training in the miriad of police and non police things the police are now doing. It's all been compounded by the unwinding of mental health services around the country resulting in the wrong people being sent to do the work that should be carried by health professionals. But non of this gives plolice the right to assault a member of the public because they didn't like the quip that was uttered back or because they had a tough day. Enforcement is haphazard because many police have a chip on their shoulder and added with stress of the job (blame the government for lack of funding) results in bigotry and sometimes assault.

But all this is no excuse and victim blaming (as you seem to be doing) isn't a good look for anyone.

As for licensing issue, as a driver you should know you are responsible for the condition of the car you drive (even if you don't own it). It's part of the condition of you license, which sadly seems to be not understood by many, though you may have a clearer understanding of your obligations than most (JC member after all).

But there are a lot people that don't understand. There are also a lot of facits to driver standards. Understanding basic roadworthy items being just one part in my view. So yes, improving the drivers knowledge of basic roadworthy checks does improve the driving standard. Doing this doesn't imply that the other issues you mention (distracted drivers through gadget obsessions) shouldn't also be tackled. Improvements happen piecemeal but they are improvements nevertheless.

There is nothing wrong with having high standards (mine may not be as high as you seem to think ;)) but to aspire for something better can only be a good thing while you make it sound that aiming for improved standards (unless you see a benefit) is a bad thing.

As using a mobile while driving is dangerous can result in $455-$1517 and loss of 4 points while some wrongly argue it's heavey handed and it's safe in many cases. I don;t use a phone while driving and I have no issue with seeing a yellow carary (prohibition to drive vehicle) issues and a forced tow on a vehicle with no brake lamps fuctioning (as it's also unsafe for it to be on the road).

If you think otherwise great, you are free to have your view as i am free to have mine. Time to drop this conversation - really.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
@Skylarking

Seriously mate, the police do the roadworthy checks you are bringing up and the majority of coppers use a common sense approach when dealing with these issues...your approach is WAY off the mark as far as common sense approach is concerned, because you aren't factoring in what can happen at the drop of a hat. And as far as I am aware (maybe wrong), you can still use hand signals to forwarn motorists on what your intentions are...ie stopping or turning

As far as licencing conditions in relation basic checks are concerned, you haven't answered, nor do I suspect you ever will, where you draw the line...Then again, where does the line get drawn? Complete teardown of a car, just to check the car is roadworthy before turning the key to start it? Then how do the people that live 30 kays away from the nearest shop get to the shop to buy that silly brake light switch that does fail occasionally?

As for coppers and assaults....Seriously mate, there is good and bad in ANY employment base.....When it involves an emergency service personnel, or the elderly, or it is a very serious assault it will make headlines....So quote all you like about coppers in this area, but fact is, it happens fairly reguarly in every day life.

And finally coppers and their haphazard enforcement....You may see it as haphazard work, but simple fact is, they are either using a little more common sense than you, or they are busy dealing with another job, so they can't pull over a car to warn or book a driver for an unroadworthy item....

Last edited:

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Time to drop this conversation - really.

That's a bloody brilliant idea.....Or the other option is you 2 can get a room and sort your sh#t out
This thread was about checking brake pad wear until you pair sent it off course
If you want to continue debating about who has the biggest d#ck, or who's the smartest cookie out of the pair of you, you can always do it via private message

Last edited: