Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to enlarge Rims, leaving studs std size? I forgot...

DK101

Next Burnout Grand Master
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
'93 VR SS - 304 T5, '95 Exec - 355 T5
I used to know how to do this for my SUV Chops and I haven't used the method for so long I've forgotten it. Someone must know this trick, as someone taught it to me, like all my photoshop skills. Never once read a tutorial...

RimCut1.jpg

Heres a great example pic, I've tried multiple different methods of selection, and transforming, but I cant find how I used to do it. I used to leave the studs at a standard size and STRETCH the rim around it. Everything I do seems to be snapping at the selection point, leaving it "torn"... I think it's an option I've changed in the Transform settings, but I'm not too sure...

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Elliptical select tool, select the whole rim. Then change it from New Selection to Remove From Selection, the buttons up in the top bar. Select the stud area, it removes it from the selection, then go ahead and transform freely.

DK101

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Yeah but that is "tearing" the image, leaving a gap between standard studs and enlarged rim... Like I said I think I've checked an option off somewhere that's stuffed it...

Stressball

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Yeah but that is "tearing" the image, leaving a gap between standard studs and enlarged rim... Like I said I think I've checked an option off somewhere that's stuffed it...

Nope, it's stretching the rim. There is no gap if you do it right.

DK101

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Then I'm not doing it right :(
I'll do up a pictorial soon, running out of light and I gotta go put my dash back together...

Stressball

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Just making sure, youo are using the Warp Transform function, yes? Not just enlarging it? If you select the rim, deselect the studs then just transform and upscale it, it will leave gaps. If you use warp you can stretch the rim ouut, leaving no gaps. CS5 has aan anchor system so you can warp stuff more easily too.

DK101

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
BINGO! Thanks! I knew there was a way, I used to do it a few years before the CS days, but I think I can make it work right with this. The old way I did it must be different, but this method works, and probably better, so thanks for your help!

:D

Stressball

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
BINGO! Thanks! I knew there was a way, I used to do it a few years before the CS days, but I think I can make it work right with this. The old way I did it must be different, but this method works, and probably better, so thanks for your help!

:D

No problem, in return you can tell me how to turn car paint black without losing detail :p

DK101

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Well that all depends on the original colour you're doing it with...
I've done it a few times, and its not easy, but its mainly trial and error...
I mainly use layers, one desaturated, then one or two (sometimes more) multiply, screen, or overlay, using different opacity settings...
Some take a lot of work to do, but others are easy. It depends on the original colour, and whats reflected in the paint. That's normally my biggest challenge...
I get a little crazy with my layers sometimes, but I used to work in a sign-writing shop and most of my methods were developed there, and sometimes you gotta break the borders to make the colour come out true on your printing medium. Chopping is different, its a lunch-break sorta thing to me... A way to get ideas for what I'm gonna do to my cars...

Here's a few paint concepts I did for my old VH...
NOTE: the VH isn't mine, its quite obviously an SC feature car...
If I break and rules by posting these I apologise in advance, and you can contact my legal department if the need really must be :yeah:

ORIGINAL

TOYGMH1024.jpg

And here's a few paint varieties, including a close attempt at BLACK... Got somewhere near Panther Mica... LOL More colours in the PhotoBucket Album, even more on my hard drive hehehe...
TwoTone.jpg

FadeTwoTone.jpg

PantherMica.jpg

MercuryWhite.jpg

KremittExtreme.jpg

I eventually settled for this Green Two-Tone, but never got around to actually paint it on the car tho, lost it thru unfortunate circumstances...:undead:

I'll ressurect her one day...

But as for the chop, mine arent the best but they got the point across and helped me decide on paint and style of trims. IMO, its all Trial n Error :thumbsup: