Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to fit a catch can??

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
looking at fitting catch can to VE SS 07 M6, anbody have any pics or instructions on the hook-up:idea3:

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
doing it for performance or show?

because unless you keep your engine at high revs for a sustained period, a catch can on a V8 isnt worth it.
smaller engines (especially turbos) that rev higher actually do benefit from catch cans, but regardless of original purpose (show or go), make sure its plumbed back to the sump. the purpose of a catch can is to 'catch' oil in vapour form... but unless it's plumbed back you are robbing the engine of oil because its all sitting in the can! also, if your catch can vents to atmosphere its illegal. i know all this first hand ;).

but as I said earlier- on a daily driver v8, its not worth it mate.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride

VE_SS_V8

Lunatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Sedan, 57 Chev Belair, Harley Davidson
but as I said earlier- on a daily driver v8, its not worth it mate.

I beg to differ, Catch cans filter the crankcase air. All engines get some blowby and this pressurises the crankcase. This air is then vented into the manifold and recycled to reduce emissions. This airflow, due to being inside an engine gets mixed with oils (remember that crank is spining, oil flying around everywhere etc). Oil in a manifold or cylinder will reduce octane and in extreme cases cause detonation. By filtering this airflow, you reduce the oil into the manifold and improve performance (or rather reduce the chance of reduced performance)

Have a look here

Australian LS1 and Holden Forums

Even found a photo ...

Attachments

• catch-can1.jpg
    catch-can1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 8,831
Last edited:

zmr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS-V
Also keeps oil off the race track.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
mabye a stupid question but can some one tell me where the intake line going to the catch can comes from the motor? just curious i don't know much bout them but getting a good education atm lol

have a read of above interesting link provided by VE SS V8.... its a few pages long but properly explains where it should all be connected and why. just dont vent to atmosphere. well discussed arguement on how and why.

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
383 HSV GTO coupe & vk ls1 turbo
is the 4 mm hose in the back of the manifold sucking into the manifold or is it blowing.i think its has some thing to do with the heater has a littler one way valve in it

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
catch can installed

Thanks everybody for the help, Fitted in just an hour or so, had to find a bracket and a place to mount it as mine was universal mount, will find out in a week or so if it has any oil in it, working away at present, easier to install than I thought, hardest part was getting the hoses back into place looks good, see how it performs