Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to fit thermo fan bypass switch

Havabigjuan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman s2 & VY Acclaim Wagon
I personally wouldn't have it on an independant switch or have the brake pedal operate it...Too easy to miss the temp rising and flick the switch/ dab the brake pedal to cool it down....
so what is your option then?
currently have to put the A/C on to kick in High speed

edit: I thought it better to have it working off something, rather than not working at all!

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Have you actually checked the fault lies with the PCM output and not just a relay or fuse/fan issue?

Havabigjuan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have you actually checked the fault lies with the PCM output and not just a relay or fuse/fan issue?
Low speed comes from the BCM??

and yes .... am an industrial / HV sparky

not only did I double check, but my mate who I did my apprenticeship with (who is into controls, PLC's etc) made the initial diagnosis....this car was his Dad's retirement car from Elizabeth Holden factory....we both did our apprenticeships at Elizabeth

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
so what is your option then?
currently have to put the A/C on to kick in High speed

edit: I thought it better to have it working off something, rather than not working at all!

An aftermarket thermatic fan control switch if you can't find the fault......

Havabigjuan

Reaction score
Members Ride
An aftermarket thermatic fan control switch if you can't find the fault......
do they come in 2 speed?

Edit: assume I could use aftermarket unit to bring on low speed, and let PCM still bring on high speed

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
do they come in 2 speed?

Edit: assume I could use aftermarket unit to bring on low speed, and let PCM still bring on high speed

Nope single speed.

Here's the style I'm using in my VC.....

Using a control knob on the unit, you can adjust the temp the fans are switched on and off.....Currently mine is set to switch on at 90 ish degrees and switch off at 85 ish degrees...

1673163518925.png

If you do an image search on thermo control units, it will bring up various styles that you can use

Havabigjuan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nope single speed.

Here's the style I'm using in my VC.....

Using a control knob on the unit, you can adjust the temp the fans are switched on and off.....Currently mine is set to switch on at 90 ish degrees and switch off at 85 ish degrees...

View attachment 246555

If you do an image search on thermo control units, it will bring up various styles that you can use

Cheers.....will check out what kits are out there.....my high speed still works, so only need to switch low speed

Havabigjuan

Reaction score
Members Ride
wire a relay off the brake lights to bring the fan on volvo used to do it.
Cheers....yeah this is what I am thinking of doing....

Simple fact is, low speed doesn't work anyway right now....doing it like this will at least have low speed working while sitting in traffic, which isn't too often

edit: need to sus out some wiring diagrams

chasnmdnite

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore
This topic has come up in a few threads lately so i though i'd do a how to.

you need:
1 x switch
1 x wire, .5mm2 will be sufficient in size, couple of meters depending on where you locate the switch.
1 x heatshrink (substitute electrical tape if not avail)

basic hand tools: wire cutters, wire stripper, soldering iron etc.

method

1. disconnect the battery negative terminal

2.first you need to decide where you are going to mount your switch, i've mounted mine next to the gear stick (pic 1)

3. remove the passenger side kick panel and locate the wire for the thermo fan relay that comes from the ecu (pic 2), it's a blue wire with a white trace, i suggest unwrapping the wiring loom a little to give yourself more wire to work with

4. you need to splice your bypass switch wire to this blue/white wire(pic 3). there are a couple of ways to do this but i suggest that the best way to do this is to solder it as it's a low current circuit and we need a good connection. i cut the wire and stripped each back about 8mm, then i stripped the bypass wire about 20mm. tin each stripped end slip the heatshrink over one of the wires. i then soldered the bypass wire and wire coming from the loom together and then soldered the wire coming from the ecu to that. then it's a matter of slipping the heatshrink down over the joint and applying some heat. if you don't have heatshrink available then i suggest that you don't cut the blue/white wire, just carefully strip some of the insulation off and solder your bypass wire there, then insulate with electrical tape.

5. pull your wire to your choosen location for your switch, mount and wire the switch.

6. then you need to connect the second side of the switch to an earth point. one possibility is the use the earth side of the sig lighter. i choose to use a screw mounting a panel to the chassis near the ecu(you need to make sure that it's a good earth point).

7. cleanup and secure all the new wiring, re-wrap the wiring loom if you unwrapped it etc.

8. re-connect the battery negative terminal and test, you should be able to turn the key to the 'on' position and be able to switch the thermo fan on with the bypass switch. run engine up to temp to make sure the ecu is still switching thermo fan on.

if your really keen then you can also mount an LED somewhere and wire in series with the new switch, that way you will also have an indicator to tell you that you have the bypass switch on.

there is also a basic wiring diagram attached.

Edit: I've attached the wiring diagram for the VT V6 Commodore. From VT onward the PCM switched the high speed thermo fan and the low speed thermofan is switched from the BCM. For best effect this mod should be wired into the high speed relay fan using the Blue wire with white trace (BLU/W) from pin F6 on the PCM (as per the wiring diagram 5a bellow).

happy wiring:thumbsup:
so my understanding of this is you run one of the wires off the switch into the blu/w wire while the other wire from the switch goes to earth, How is this meant to interfer with the fan if your just tapping into the blu/w with a earth on a switch esentially?