Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to get Chrome Handles like a Caprice

jasonzzz_petey

Supercharged VT Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VT Calais
Hi guys

So today I will show you how to get chrome door handles on your VT/VX. Its not that hard really. Also I didnt waste $200+ dollars buying the ones of ebay that just have the handle Chromed, and that you still have to paint anyway. Pay more money for less chrome? Crazy

I got these fully Chromed handles I got off ebay for $80. (link below)

Holden Commodore VT VX VY VZ WH WK Chrome Door Handles | eBay

IMG_0096.JPG

I was thinking about leaving the whole thing chrome, but I thought, Nah too much chrome.

IMG_0104.jpg

Oh and before I got too far I will explain how I got that far.

You will need for this

1. Set of chrome handles =)
2. Very small flat blade screw driver & normal screw driver (Hint its to remove door trims)
3. A 10mm socket with the extension part
4. And finally an Angle grinder - (Not joking will make sense later)

IMG_0113.jpg

Firstly remove the door trims, (there's a post on how to do this already i'm sure) KEEP Windows up also, I didnt put mine down but it may make it hard!

Then peel back the plastic that is covering the spot where the handle is. Like this

IMG_0094.jpg

Now you can see the 2 10mm Nuts holding the old handle in place. You must unscrew these (Pic is of the drivers door and has the keyhole thingy)
After unscrewing the 2 Nuts, you can pull the backing plate out of its place.

You will also now need to disconnect the metal rod that connects to the handle to make the door open. The rod is held in place by a clip, so you unclip this and slide the metal rod out and let it hang there.

Now you can remove the door handle from the front, just try to open the door and it will pop right out.

Now for the Grinder =)

IMG_0115.jpg

Now that part above was hitting the metal backing plate when i put the handle into the car, to I used my grinder on the "backing plate" in the spot that it was hitting, (Note if you don't remove this part your door handles will constantly be not closing, looking stupid. So grind them good) Now if you fit yours and they work perfectly without grinding, Lucky You. If you don't have a grinder tin snips would probably do, its prity thin metal.

Now Put your chrome handles in, Its pritty much the reverse of taking them out, (hint when i did the drivers I just left it hanging in the door, since its connected to some wires.)

After you have tightly bolted everything back up, and made sure that all your doors still OPEN, you should have something like this.

IMG_0098.jpg

Yes that's a lot of chrome, TOO much chrome I though to myself, this is Why the Caprice only has the handle Chromed and not the whole assembly!

Now time for the painting =)

You will need

1. Paint that matches your cars paint. (Got mine from Autobarns they can match it)
2. Clear coat
3. Masking tape
4. Some Junk Mail

IMG_0105.jpg

Step 1 mask the s**t out of the handles, and surrounding pannels, cover the Handel with tape (Cos we bit to stay chrome)

When it comes to painting I heard on some youtube video once these words of wisdom, "Painting is all about Preperation" so use lots of tape, and junk mail to avoid the dreaded overspray.

IMG_0102.jpg

I used 4 "light" coats of paint, waiting 5 mins between each coat. Then 2 coats of clear coat. 10 mins between each coat. Light coats work Best

IMG_0108.jpg

It also started spitting while i was painting $&^#@, luckily I made some little painting umbrellas, Out of Junk Mail! And that is why you shouldn't put a "No Junk" mail sign on your letterbox. You never know when you might need a painting umbrella.

And this is how it turned out

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0109.jpg

I think it turned out pritty good, Handles feel better opening than the old ones, and it looks pritty good, just like they have on the Caprice. But for much cheaper than you would pay to get genuine Caprice ones. Pritty much cant even tell that they aren't Caprice ones by looking at them.

Anyway that's all hope this helps anyone who had been thinking about doing the same thing =P

Attachments

• IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    397.3 KB · Views: 469

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Hi guys

So today I will show you how to get chrome door handles on your VT/VX. Its not that hard really. Also I didnt waste $200+ dollars buying the ones of ebay that just have the handle Chromed, and that you still have to paint anyway. Pay more money for less chrome? Crazy

I got these fully Chromed handles I got off ebay for $80. (link below)

Holden Commodore VT VX VY VZ WH WK Chrome Door Handles | eBay

View attachment 162602

I was thinking about leaving the whole thing chrome, but I thought, Nah too much chrome.

View attachment 162605

Oh and before I got too far I will explain how I got that far.

You will need for this

1. Set of chrome handles =)
2. Very small flat blade screw driver & normal screw driver (Hint its to remove door trims)
3. A 10mm socket with the extension part
4. And finally an Angle grinder - (Not joking will make sense later)

View attachment 162612

Firstly remove the door trims, (there's a post on how to do this already i'm sure) KEEP Windows up also, I didnt put mine down but it may make it hard!

Then peel back the plastic that is covering the spot where the handle is. Like this

View attachment 162601

Now you can see the 2 10mm Nuts holding the old handle in place. You must unscrew these (Pic is of the drivers door and has the keyhole thingy)
After unscrewing the 2 Nuts, you can pull the backing plate out of its place.

You will also now need to disconnect the metal rod that connects to the handle to make the door open. The rod is held in place by a clip, so you unclip this and slide the metal rod out and let it hang there.

Now you can remove the door handle from the front, just try to open the door and it will pop right out.

Now for the Grinder =)

View attachment 162613

Now that part above was hitting the metal backing plate when i put the handle into the car, to I used my grinder on the "backing plate" in the spot that it was hitting, (Note if you don't remove this part your door handles will constantly be not closing, looking stupid. So grind them good) Now if you fit yours and they work perfectly without grinding, Lucky You. If you don't have a grinder tin snips would probably do, its prity thin metal.

Now Put your chrome handles in, Its pritty much the reverse of taking them out, (hint when i did the drivers I just left it hanging in the door, since its connected to some wires.)

After you have tightly bolted everything back up, and made sure that all your doors still OPEN, you should have something like this.

View attachment 162603

Yes that's a lot of chrome, TOO much chrome I though to myself, this is Why the Caprice only has the handle Chromed and not the whole assembly!

Now time for the painting =)

You will need

1. Paint that matches your cars paint. (Got mine from Autobarns they can match it)
2. Clear coat
3. Masking tape
4. Some Junk Mail

View attachment 162606

Step 1 mask the s**t out of the handles, and surrounding pannels, cover the Handel with tape (Cos we bit to stay chrome)

When it comes to painting I heard on some youtube video once these words of wisdom, "Painting is all about Preperation" so use lots of tape, and junk mail to avoid the dreaded overspray.

View attachment 162604

I used 4 "light" coats of paint, waiting 5 mins between each coat. Then 2 coats of clear coat. 10 mins between each coat. Light coats work Best

View attachment 162608

It also started spitting while i was painting $&^#@, luckily I made some little painting umbrellas, Out of Junk Mail! And that is why you shouldn't put a "No Junk" mail sign on your letterbox. You never know when you might need a painting umbrella.

And this is how it turned out

View attachment 162611

View attachment 162610

View attachment 162609

I think it turned out pritty good, Handles feel better opening than the old ones, and it looks pritty good, just like they have on the Caprice. But for much cheaper than you would pay to get genuine Caprice ones. Pritty much cant even tell that they aren't Caprice ones by looking at them.

Anyway that's all hope this helps anyone who had been thinking about doing the same thing =P

Looks good, but one issue - did you put plastic primer down before you repainted the handles? If not the paint will peel; VT-VZ handles notorious for this. Had to get mine redone.

jasonzzz_petey

Supercharged VT Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VT Calais
umm no, no plastic primer. Hope mine dont peel. I was painting directly onto the Chrome finish on the handles so hopefully it dosent do that. Did you do yours the same way I did mine or did you use Chrome paint onto the original handles?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
umm no, no plastic primer. Hope mine dont peel. I was painting directly onto the Chrome finish on the handles so hopefully it dosent do that. Did you do yours the same way I did mine or did you use Chrome paint onto the original handles?

You painted straight over chrome without scuffing the chrome or applying a primer.....???
Sorry, but I think that will peel like a bad sunburn.

jasonzzz_petey

Supercharged VT Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VT Calais
well its not proper chrome, the handles are plastic, not proper chrome, chrome paint I assume. So I painted directly onto the Chrome paint, Time will tell i guess.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
I was referring to the raw plastic underneath....I thought you sanded the chrome off.

Oh well. Can always try again....run your finger nail over it when dry. Good paint cannot be scratched off by fingernail. Bad paint will.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Doesn't really matter....you should sand or scuff a previously painted surface so the paint will adhere.
Anyway....good luck and good right up. :)
Should be in the "How to" section.

jasonzzz_petey

Supercharged VT Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VT Calais
I was referring to the raw plastic underneath....I thought you sanded the chrome off.

Oh well. Can always try again....run your finger nail over it when dry. Good paint cannot be scratched off by fingernail. Bad paint will.

I tried the fingernail test. Was prity rough with it aswel, nothing came off, think i might be lucky. Must have been the clear coat I used. Anyway will use primer next time anyway, lol

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
I tried the fingernail test. Was prity rough with it aswel, nothing came off, think i might be lucky. Must have been the clear coat I used. Anyway will use primer next time anyway, lol

The only time you get a nice glossy coat is if you put a lot of paint on it then wet sand it...or get it done in 2pak.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
You might be lucky as the chrome over plastic sometimes has a protective coat of clear over it to start with.