Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to hook up Carbon Cannister?

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
Wasn't sure where to put this. So I am pretty sure i need to hook up a carbon canister to my fuel system to get it through engineering.

On the top of my fuel tank are two smaller and one large vents. At present I have them all connected to the barbs on the filler tube.

I have asked the tank manufacturer and he says that wrong and one of the smaller vents should in fact go to a carbon canister.

Is that all I need, or does the canister have a vent that has to go back to the bay and the intake vacuum, or does it connect to the barb on the filler tube?

Anybody done this of able to help/advise?

Cheers

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
The stock canister has 3 ports. The 2 smaller ones go on it then there is a larger one that goes to a vacuum source.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yes then 1 goes to ported vacuam on a stock TB that only has vac at part throttle to get the valve on the canister to open and another hose into inlet for vapours to burn in engine.being that you are running LS pcm ide convert to a later canister and use the purge solinoid will make hookup and control easier

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
Thanks delcowizzid, I was kinda hoping you might chime in :) Can you give me any info on what I am looking for. Do I just go to U Pull It and get a canister off any later model Commodore. Does it have to be located in the bay, or can I put it anywhere? What is the purge solenoid, is that integral with the canister? Sorry for the 20 questions!!

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
attack a VS at pickapart for canister and purge valve bolted on back of drivers side head take plug and wire too lol.you might be able to fit the canister behind the fuel filler cover to hide it away

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
attack a VS at pickapart for canister and purge valve bolted on back of drivers side head take plug and wire too lol.you might be able to fit the canister behind the fuel filler cover to hide it away

Legend, thank you, so same canister on a VR? Don't suppose anybody has a pic of the purge valve so I know what the hell I am looking for?

Also, so I assume I do need to run a vacuum line all the way from the bay to the canister

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
possibly could