Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to improve fuel economy in VT Series II 3.8

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
id have 2 say i find using normal 91 gets me more KMs out of my tank rather than 95 and 98 not sure y. i still mostly use 95 tho 2 give it all a clean and it still gets 550-800kms out of a tank. fuel prices dont bother me im used 2 paying 1.50 over 5 years ago and its only gettin 2 that price now days in perth. so dont know y ppl should complain about fuel yet haha.

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive 9C1
i have found i am getting better fuel economy running bp91 and 1/2 a bottle of repco injector cleaner every tank, been doing some trials over the last few months, for a month i ran bp ultimate, was getting around 580 purely around town, started a month ago using 91 and injector cleaner and im getting 600-620 a tank, plus it works out cheaper buy the bottle of injector cleaner than spending the extra on the ultimate. that is only around town though, on a long distance cruise, run bp ultimate for two tanks before the trip and put injector cleaner in as well and you can get under 6.5l per 100.

the guy at repco that i spoke to said that the repco injector cleaner is the same as the nulon, its the same colour and come in pretty much the same bottle.

thats just what ive had through experience, everyone will have an opinion from their own experience

shawnshah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore Series II
Vymad, care to give me the link to that shell info thread

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
Schrinky whats the injector cleaner cost roughly?

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Schrinky whats the injector cleaner cost roughly?

From my experience it is $9-$12 a bottle. Which is roughly 350mL.

nzBrowny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Commodore Manual
sweet mother...only $1.50? Geez we are paying $2.20 a litre over here for 91 and round 2.26 for 96/98. even with our shitty exchange rate you fullas are still getting a good deal on the gas!
when your paying $140 a tank then it starts to hurt eh!

to the original poster, mate i found that a decent air filter and flow to my engine made a big difference. I average about 9 - 9.5 lt/100kms. but everyone else has the same ideas. good luck bro.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
sweet mother...only $1.50? Geez we are paying $2.20 a litre over here for 91 and round 2.26 for 96/98. even with our shitty exchange rate you fullas are still getting a good deal on the gas!
when your paying $140 a tank then it starts to hurt eh!

to the original poster, mate i found that a decent air filter and flow to my engine made a big difference. I average about 9 - 9.5 lt/100kms. but everyone else has the same ideas. good luck bro.

Just wait, give it 20 years will be looking back fondly at only paying $2 a litre when it's up at about $15

shawnshah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore Series II
@nzBrowny, you are right bro... I have installed a cold air induction kit and a pod filter which has made a difference. The cold air induction kit is installed where the original air box is with filter so the hissing sound of air intake is almost gone.

VTII Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Wagon
I just filled up my tank with 98 RON and it was empty two days later, having only driven 350kms. The weather was wet as well so I was driving it very carefully. I've never had fuel consumption as bad as that before. Is there likely to be something wrong with the car or could it just be a bad lot of fuel?