Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to make a stock VT Sound Grunty

karlos_1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
I been looking into getting the exhaust done as well.
After reading a few posts etc i was just wondering in regards to the headers. How does the two headers attach to the cat. What i've seen so far is that exhaust places keep the stock cat, and weld the y piece pipes from the cat onto the base of the extractors. Is this right? To me it seems like a prick of an idea, and also pointless, as the benefit of havin the free flowing mandrel bent header pipes would still be restricted by the ribbed bends in the y pipes attached to the cat. Is there another way of joining it all up, without using twin cats of each header? Cos if wat i've sed above is correct, i really dont see the point of getting headers.
Anyone have pics of how their setup is done?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
most headers dont come with the Y piece, HM's do..

if ur exhaust place is givin u cheap rates i'd check to see if hes attaching ur headers to ur original Y piece.. they should make u up a Y piece thats mandral bent, or at least bolt a new one on thats pre-made..

should be getting a new Y piece.. YES!
(although u wont really notice the different from the press bent Y piece to the mandral one, once the headers are on! not for an unopened standard engine)

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
I been looking into getting the exhaust done as well.

Anyone have pics of how their setup is done?

I have posted photos and instruction within the V6 Development section (should be in the mods section, sorry...), including the cutting of the Y-pipe. Yes, the original piece is maintained.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
HM don't supply Y pipes in post VS model commodores...

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Whats every1s opinions on me getting headers 4 my manual VX S but keeping the exhaust from the cat back stock?? Could get a bit of a power boost without the drone from a performance exhaust :unsure:

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
Whats every1s opinions on me getting headers 4 my manual VX S but keeping the exhaust from the cat back stock?? Could get a bit of a power boost without the drone from a performance exhaust :unsure:

you can always add the performance exhaust later on down the track - all depends on your $$$ - for me personally you better off getting everything done at once and negotiate a better price deal overall.... thats me... your from Adelaide?

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Yea mate im from adelaide. Don't really want the exhaust though cause i dont like the drone that they make

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
you can get either Advance headers $460 or Pacemakers $540 (both supply / fit ) from Aussie discount mufflers & brakes - 373 Port road Hindmarsh Ph 83400584

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Thanks mate for that info. May look into it more a bit later down the track :thumbsup: