Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to on vt brake upgrade

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
i remember someone else asked about a vt break upgrade, i had a look around the forum but didn't find anything, just have a look around u will find something. maybe someone knows where the thread is.

cheers
scott

Jimbo

Reaction score
Look at your the other thread you posted in. I replied in there.

sharpeidog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec
The VT brake upgrade is very straight forward, as far as discs, calipers etc go. I have done this mod in my '90 Series 1 VN. The booster and master cylinder change is a little more tricky though.

As for the actual front brakes, you need:

1. The appropriate hub adapters. (I paid $110 each for them.)

2. New wheel bearings. (About $24 a set for Timkens i.e. both sides I think.)

3. VT calipers. (I think I paid $66 a pair for those at the wreckers.)

4. VT front discs and get them machined. (Paid $22 each for those at the wreckers, had never been ground and had plenty of meat on them. Remember, VT discs have far more meat than the standard VN discs and are good for machining about 3 times. Machining cost me $33.)

5. New pads. ($'s vary for what you want.)

6. Longer hoses to the calipers. ($90 a pair.)

7. Suggest strongly going to a 1" master cylinder. This will make the pedal less spongy, as the 15/16" stock cylinder struggles to push enough fluid on the twin piston VT calipers. (Think I paid $66 for a 1" master cylinder and you may as well rekit it while you are at it, about $70 for the kit as I recall.)

Strip the old stuff off and fit up the new stuff, pretty simple. Not necessarily cheap, but a worthwhile upgrade.

I would really like to upgrade to the VT booster and master cylinder. This is a little more complex in that it requires modifying the VN booster mounting bracket, making up an adapter plate, welding the modified bracket to it and modifying the booster rod to the correct length etc. Some modification to the pipework and connections to the master cylinder is also required as the flaring is different (some say there is no need to change the flaring though).

I did have the link to a site where a guy did a "how to" on changing over the booster and cylinder, but he has moved his site and it's not back up as yet. I do have a hard copy print though.

In general, the car pulls up better now than stock, but I do find the pedal still a little too spongy for my liking and at high speed you have to stand on the pedal a bit. But like I say, I reckon the VT booster and master cylinder mod would help out a lot.

You would be wise to check out any insurance implications too I would suggest.

Hope this helps in some way.... ;)

Last edited:

Jimbo

Reaction score
sharpeidog said:
... (some say there is no need to change the flaring though).
I was advised to NOT use the standard VN lines, or more specifically the wrong flared lines, as they may collapse in wards when tightening. Other alternatives are to replace the front lines with those from a VR/VS which have the flaring to suit the VT master and then use a single adaptor for the rear or just having it reflared.

I did have the link to a site where a guy did a "how to" on changing over the booster and cylinder, but he has moved his site and it's not back up as yet. I do have a hard copy print though.
Link posted in another thread - site should be complete over the weekend.

You would be wise to check out any insurance implications too I would suggest.
Yes, just to be sure - I'm not overly certain what the implications of the 'normal' VT upgrade kit, i.e. hubs/hats/calipers/lines, but the VT booster mod may cause you grief, i.e. need engineers cert perhaps - not that anyone can see any of it.

Ultima RB

Reaction score
Website
www.completelybiased.com
I had a huge write up on this upgrade on the old VN Commodore.com forum however I don't have access to it anymore and can't be stuffed typing it up again. I did however take a couple of pics which you might find useful.
braketest1.jpg
braketest2.jpg
rotor.jpg
adapter.jpg
caliper2.jpg

master1.jpg

master2.jpg

NOGEN 3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Any 1 know 4 sure if the HQ kingswood drum brake hub can be modded to suit VT rotors/Twinspot brakes? ($11 per hub s/h +$22 per hub 4 machining/ restudding.)Any help greatly appreciated