Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To Remove Black Bumper Strips**UPDATED**use this one

benjamino

needing some more undies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 6spd + 7psi
....I followed this thread and am dissappointed to say that it didnt work out for me, small aprts of paint came off with the strips on my vn. Maybe there was an easier way.

its a dam shame to hear that mate, sorry it didnt work out for you.
i guess a bit of luck comes into these things..
my paints a little scratched aswell, but itl do for now..

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Did it to my VR and it stuffed up as well. Took the paint right off. Followed everything you said, and on the other side I tried everything possibly else but still didn't work. Maybe dodgey caramel wheel? I just thought I'd make the job easier by taking them off before the respray. Lucky that it's getting fresh paint soon.

Leigh_G

..forgot the sump bolt
Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 VH SLX, '08 Prado Grande
Theyre all the same basically, I used a similar method on my VN back in the day.. and those strips are WIDE. The trick I found is to weaken the sikaflex as much as possible before even trying to rip it off the paint.. so put all your tools away for a few hours. I used kero, applied it to the strip as neatly as I could, slowly but surely the sikaflex started to soften up, and after a few hours of that it peeled off a lot easier, albeit leaving a fair bit behind on the paint. no dramas then though, as you can dab a kero soaked rag onto each black blob and let it do it's thing again.

.. took me absolutely yonks but came up perfect. You would never know it had them in the first place. As someone stated earlier, PATIENCE is the key with these POS strips ;)

benjamino

needing some more undies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 6spd + 7psi
yehhh i tried not to pull the strips at all, just cuttin with fishn wire,,
slowly but surely..
but hmmmm, shiit to hear how ppl are ****n up their paint lol
maybe i should take this thread down haha

003KWK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
I did mine a while back in a very similar way, and it was fine. Although I've had a full respray since then so I can't take pics.

I guess it's just luck of the draw with how well they've bonded to the paint.

Static89

I Am Ironman.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
if your patient it will happen eventually, becouse my cars off the road im doing mine every now n then do a bit get bored then go back n do some more later, n its coming off

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
i did this mod on my vt yonks ago, but all i did was where the door edge is, the little groove in the door skin, got a flat blade screwy (with out touching the paint work) and sat it on the edge of the plastic strip, just pulled it out til i could grab it and ripped it straight off, gentle so as not to bend the door skin, and used a caramel wheel to get the ureathane off, but you have to do it lightly or u will burn the clear coat like i did in a little spot to start with, other that the little spot where i started buffing came up looking sweet.. buff the doors beautiful..

chirpyVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 5.7 Executive
just did mine on my vx found using 30lb berkley fire line will pretty much cut straight through without heat or water only probs i found was where they pushed the moulds on til they touched the paint i started to cut the moulds first , as i dont care bout them i snapped them where i got stuck then pushed the line down the center so i could cut the top and bottom sepratly cutting on the outward stroke so u cut the the sikaflex first hope that helps