Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] How To: Remove Body Deadening

Last-Rites

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 202 Auto NOS Rat Rod Wagon
How To: Remove Body Deadener

INGREDIENTS and TOOLS
- 10-20kg of Dry Ice Pellet (BOC Gas $9/kg - just make sure u have an esky with a bung in it as it needs to vent)
- Isopropyl Alcohol 2L (Ring local paint distributors they are cheaper. It was $20/L.
- GOOD gloves to handle the dry ice
- A ball pein hammer
- 2 buckets
- A flat head screwdriver or cold chisel
- 1L of Thinner (Paint shops are cheaper)
- Rags
- Vacuum Cleaner

STEPS
1. Ensure the area you are about to remove the sound deadening from is clean. I vacuumed it and then blew it out. This helps so there is less muck in the dry ice when using it.

2. Collect your dry ice ensuring your esky stays in a cool dry place. When buying over 10kg you need to transport it in a ute only as it needs to vent to fresh air at all times. This is the law btw.

3. Before mixing make sure you have all your tools laid out and a fan to blow the co2 build up away. I wore a mask during the entire process as a precautionary method.

4. Now when mixing my rough ratio was 1kg of Dry Ice Pellets (DIP) to 100ml of Isopropyl Alcohol (IA).

5. Put on your gloves and put the DIP into a bucket. MAKE SURE YOU CRUSH THE DIP IN THE BUCKET. Once it is crushed apply the IA and stir.

6. Now pour the mixture onto the body deadener. The body deadener and DIP will give off crackling noises. Once it slows down move the mixture to another point and begin removing the body deadener.

F91B1842-9ADC-4808-83B4-36D9AA37A955.jpg

7. The best way I found to do it is put the screwdriver or chisel down an open edge of the body deadener and check to see if it is loose. If not I used the side of the hammer and found it cracked VERY easily. Don't use the ball or head of the hammer as it may give u unwanted damage.

8. When removing try and put as much waste as possible into the second bucket as it will get really messy and stop the DIP from doing it's job properly.

9. Once the DIP melts clean up each section as you go. Trust me it helps!

10. Once you have completed your job make sure the area is completely clean then wipe it all down with Thinners and a Rag.

DC798578-0DD0-4A1F-BBD3-50506F117439.jpg

Please watch as many videos on YouTube as you need. I found quite a few were very handy and showed me different ways to do it. I combined a multiple of the ways they did it to do mine and I have told you my best way.

Enjoy and stay safe!