Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to remove Condensor and Drier?

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Hi all,

Long version - Wife's car lost all refrigerent the other day, we took it to the auto elec and he told us the condensor had died or something along those lines. I told him I had my old VS at home for wrecking and he said I could save some money if I take the condensor and drier out of my car for him to fit into her car.

I have taken the front bumper off but have no idea where to start. I have the gregory's manual but it makes no mention of the condensor/drier (probably something they would prefer to leave to the professionals).

I assume the first step would be to block or turn off the tap to stop refrigerent from pouring out into the environment/myself but I don't know how to do this, or even get the drier/condensor out or which order to do anything. Does anyone know how to do this procedure?

TL;DR version - I want to remove the condensor and drier from a VS Commodore but I don't know how and would like some advice/instructions. Also I want to shut off the refrigerent from pouring out before I remove the condensor/drier.

I tried searching in this forum for condensor but it's mostly about the professionals and what they'll charge etc. . Thanks heaps guys!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You cannot stop the refrigerant escaping unless you have a refrigerant recovery kit....however I'd imagine the spares car would have no gas left???.
Facing the front of the car with the front bumper bar removed, the drier is the black thick tube/can with an electrical connector and two metal tube connections to it just to the right of the LH headilght (looking from the front). The condenser is the radiator-like device in front of the raditaor.
Usually it is very difficult to remove the evaporater as the tubing and nuts that attach the refrigerant tubing tends to corrode - the tubing and the evap are made of aluminium and are very soft.
So you need to be very careful when undoing the hose/tubing connections to the evap.
I'd be a bit hesistant about doing this despite being a tight-ass, as I know that it is absolutely paramount that the refrig system be kept spotlessly clean. Also, the drier from the donor car will probably be suspect as they should be replaced every time an A/C is recharged.
Finally new units are not expensive....check on Ebay - I've seen driers for $26 and condensers for under $200 brand spanking new.
Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Looks like they are cheaper than I thought -$120 delivered.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Holden-Commo...ZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item19b3d306b3
and the drier is $12.50.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VR-VS-COMMOD...ZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3efd8014a6

Last edited: