Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] HOW TO: Repair your blower motor

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V6 MY17, VX Calais V6 2000
I found the fan motor on a Ford Territory, VZ, VE and VF are the same.
The plastic housing has some differences, but the motors are same manufacturer (air international) and
I tried to disassemble the motor (wrecker one) but couldn’t get it back together once it was all apart from the outer housing.

How do I get it back into the metal housing? What the trick?

Hi Fu Manchu,

Are you referring to how to get the commutator back into the housing after pulling apart to clean?

I had the same issue. Because the magnets are quite strong you need to hold the commutator centred whilst inserting it. You need to ensure that it doesn't grab the magnets and carefully align it so the pin goes through the housing at the end. The same applies with the end cover. Just make sure the pin sits in its correct place on the underside of the cap and then it's easy to align everything ready to replace the two screws. I had the same trouble with mine but soon worked it out.

I hope this helps :)

Last edited:

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Tasmaniak!

I just did this to my Calais after the fan failed in 40 degree heat!!! The motor was full of dust and debris but the brushes and armature were perfect. Tested the resistance on the coils and everything was spot on. Reassembled and tested and away she went :D Saved myself $300 on a new fan. Now off to Dan Murphy's... ;):cool:
Update...

Fan motor was working fine after cleaning it out yesterday but now I notice that it cuts in and out erratically. The commutator was clean with only minimal scoring and all resistance levels across it were spot on. Total resistance when assembled was approx. 2 ohms. Brushes were fine.

I could take it to a sparky to look at but I think it might be easier to go to the wreckers or bite the bullet and buy a new unit. I was thinking that maybe if I cleaned the commutator myself in a lathe then it might fix the problem?

4/60 A/C was OK for my old Kingswood but it doesn't have the same effect in a Commodore :D

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
That’s why I was looking at other blower assemblies. New Ford Territory blower motors are much cheaper than the Commodore ones. VF are as well when sold used.
Then remove the motor and fit into the assembly we have.

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
That’s why I was looking at other blower assemblies. New Ford Territory blower motors are much cheaper than the Commodore ones. VF are as well when sold used.
Then remove the motor and fit into the assembly we have.
I was thinking to try the same. You may be able buy a similar motor that will fit the housing although you may need to rewire the connector plug to suit the car. Anything's worth a try given that genuine parts are priced so high now. We'll stop at nothing to keep our old Commodores on the road ;)

Bradley Brown

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commedore
Hi pulled fan out where bushes were big grove it's shot put in new fan worked for one minute tonight I put in new resistor no joy checked relays swapped relays checked fuses nothing? Any ideas

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.