Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HOW TO replace headlining - Very detailed

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Im about to embark on this project for a wagon. The question I have is with the clips for the front and seat belt trims. Are they just plastic clips which will come off with a bit of pulling?

Whats the best way to remove them without damaging the plastics?

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
i dont think i had a ford badge. any one else ?

They are a Ford/GM common part, they also have the GM part number there also. Some will have Ford logos as well.

If you want something a lil more flash you can also get some cardboard and cut out shapes sutch as flames or holden symbols. Just stick your cutout to the roof linning cardboard before the material. Then cover with glue and material then just push it all down hard especially around your cutout's edges.

You then have an embosed roof linning for the extra cost of some card board

I think theres pics of this in my ride section ive also aluded to it a few times throughout this thread, its quite easy, you really need to use specific glue for it however and be very careful yet also very fast.

I plan on doing mine again when it gets colder here, however ill be doing it with viynl so i will probally document the process and do a simple write up.

COINERS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY.10
Great how to. Ive got a question though, what if I wanted to redo mine, but use the existing fabric, since I wish to keep my car 100% original. Do you think I could use the same fabric and just clean up the cardboard and put some new foam in?

yeah dont realy know sorry. but i would try and match up the fabric at some shop like SPOTLIGHT. shouldnt be to hard

taskmaster

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT series 2
do you have to apply new foam or can you just glue new fabric over once youve cleaned??

i was just going to glue grey sub-box fabric onto my carboard

Franco888

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VN
Hi and what luck I got onto your site or would have given the job out. BUt on the other hand if you can kindly clarify me some things.
1) What specific adhesive to use (brand name or type-spray or thick type)
2) Do the sponge have to be fused with the fabric or first stick the foam and then the fabric. Can I get the foam from Clark Rubber.
3)Basically to remove the head cardboard do i have to remove any of the side pillar plastice to free it or a little prod and pull will bring it out.
4) Putting the board back does it snap in to place.
5) Can I use any fabric and do i need to wash it.
I do hope this is it so i can start off this weekend and I am all excited about it.

thanks.

taskmaster

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT series 2
1) any decent adcheise will work, i use shelly quick quick

2) i didnt use foam i just cleaned the board and glued some crush velvet on looks wicked

3) the front and side plastics i removed the rears i didnt, also just wiggle door rubbers free

4) mine didnt snap as much just feel smooth in place

5) any fabric should be fine, its suggested you buy and use new fabric DONT WASH

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
1) What specific adhesive to use (brand name or type-spray or thick type)

I used Selleys Heat and Cold Resistant Kwik Dry i think it was called, its lasted over a year now with a massive embroided lion on the roof, i recommend this glue highly. Comes in tins costing about 20 bucks from your local bunnings.

Spray type glues are rubbish.

2) Do the sponge have to be fused with the fabric or first stick the foam and then the fabric. Can I get the foam from Clark Rubber.

Clark Rubber is great, theyve got the exact foam you need, its very thin and quite cheap. Just whack that on the roof cardboard first, then using a small about of glue go over the foam and whack on the fabric.

3)Basically to remove the head cardboard do i have to remove any of the side pillar plastice to free it or a little prod and pull will bring it out.

From memory i removed the seat belts and the pillar plastics because i didnt want to damage anything.

4) Putting the board back does it snap in to place.

You just need to slide it back in, when i say slide it in you will understand it more when you take it out. You slide the board up into the rear plastic underneath your rear window then if youve got someone to help you just ask them to hold the front up while you screw in the sun visors. Then just go around and put the rest of it in.

5) Can I use any fabric and do i need to wash it.

I did this job on the weekend for a friend and he used very thin material, my advice is, aim for a decent thickness fabric, or something with a backing on it so that the glue doesnt seep through the material. If you choose a thin material just be very careful, dont press on the material when applying it to the cardboard as the glue will seep through and dont use to much glue.

Need anymore help just ask.

XeKToReX

Put it on credit!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL, VR Exec, VS Stato, VT Clubby #555
I wanna do this now.. too bad my roof lining is still holding up!

Razor-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
I want to do mine in white but would it look to over the top?
Because i want a whitye interior