Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to run speaker wires

Jarmore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 S
Hello again :)

My question is as follows. Once the time comes to wiring speakers. How do I for example wire the speakers so they are not on the sane line as the power cable going to the battery. Will I have to run say for example the left speaker all the way to the right side then male it follow the right sides wire? Will there be enough wire to do that?

Cheers fellas

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
It is ok to run the speaker cable next to power cable. Just not the RCAs.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
If your really paranoid, run em through the roof lining.

But as above, only RCA cables need to be far away from power cables

v6nutz_2012

Self-Confessed Basshead
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
2000 VT S Pac "Gold Nugget"
It is ok to run the speaker cable next to power cable. Just not the RCAs.

Well that all depends what that particular power cable is for. I had a speaker wire near a run of 0 ga that went from front to rear batteries. Caused a lot of alternator whine in that speaker, even when stereo was turned off

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Well that all depends what that particular power cable is for. I had a speaker wire near a run of 0 ga that went from front to rear batteries. Caused a lot of alternator whine in that speaker, even when stereo was turned off

I have 0g power and speaker cable bundled together in one run of tech flex with zero noise. Alternator whine is usually cause by bad earth or amp gain too high.

Jarmore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 S
No that's fine fella's. Glad to know it's no biggie. I ain't that paranoid. Just heard that signal cables aren't supposed to be near powercables. haha. :)

I'm running 4 gauge. I'll post my system once I get it in late december early jan, but yeah. Thanks all for your time. I appreciate it. :) And I'll make sure I have a nice meaty earth on the chasis. :) No paint ;)

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I have 0g power and speaker cable bundled together in one run of tech flex with zero noise. Alternator whine is usually cause by bad earth or amp gain too high.

Same and agree.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Speaking of bad earths... had a frustrating one last night in an RX-8. Customer was adamant about no holes drilled so had to use an existing earth.apparently the factory strut brace which bolts to side of the strut tower instead of strut tops is not an earth mongrel bastard thing.

Off topic I know but it gave me the shits.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Speaking of bad earths... had a frustrating one last night in an RX-8. Customer was adamant about no holes drilled so had to use an existing earth.apparently the factory strut brace which bolts to side of the strut tower instead of strut tops is not an earth mongrel bastard thing.

Off topic I know but it gave me the shits.

And how many dummy spits and head scratching before you figured it out?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Customer was present so I stay civilised. It didn't take long to sort outbut still a WTF moment. My meter read between 6-9Volts across the amp terminals when it wouldn't turn on and when I moved by negative probe to the chassis of the bose amplifier it jumped up to 12 I knew I had a bad earth.. my biggest annoyance was that I had cut and terminated the ground cable and fed it through parcel shelf up and out of the way.

On making a new earth lead, I may not have completely removed the old from the parcel shelf.... I think my cutters got in the way and may have just snipped it at either end. Not sure.... shhhh lol