Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to Secure VP Spare Tyre with Tie Down Strap ...

vp2013

Reaction score
Members Ride
V P Commodore Executive Series II
Hi Everyone ...
This may be a Stupid Request ... But ... Anyway ... When I bought my VP back in January, 2013 the Spare Tyre, Tie down Strap was missing and now I have purchased a second hand Tie down Strap, and Yes that's Right, I don't Know how to Secure the Spare Tyre with it ... Here are a few photos showing the present state of my Boot and the way in which I have secured the Spare Tyre ... Please All Suggestions would be greatly Appreciated ... Thanks in Advance Commodore Community ... Cheers ... Ian ...

Attachments

• Spare Tyre Strap.1.jpg
    Spare Tyre Strap.1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 518
  • Spare Tyre Strap.2.jpg
    Spare Tyre Strap.2.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 666
  • Spare Tyre Strap.3.jpg
    Spare Tyre Strap.3.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:

statey1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
Looking at the way the buckle is facing at the moment, I think you would bring the bottom strap up in front of it, loop it over the middle rung then back down in front of the bottom rung. The strap that goes to the mounting point should hold the strap in place on the buckle

If you can understand my quick attempt at explaining via Paint, see here:

buckle.JPG

vp2013

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey ... statey1975 ...
Thank You, Mate ... I now understand that the metal end of the rubber strap goes through the hole in the spare wheel then through the loop at the top of the boot, made for the rubber tie down strap ...
Great ... Thanks again ... statey1975 ...
But ... What Happens with the other component, the other section or piece, of Tie down strap, that joins to the Rubber strap, at the point of the metal teeth end, to Secure or tie down the Spare Tyre in Position ???
This would be, also Greatly appreciated Guys ... Cheers ... Ian ...

vp2013

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey ... statey1975 ...
Another Paint drawing for the bottom Tie down strap, would be Perfect ...
Thanks again Mate ... For taking the Time to sort this ... Cheers ... Ian ...

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
There should be teeth facing towards the tire.
You then run the fabric strip under that, around the center rung then down under the teeth again. I think thats how I have mine.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
You then run the fabric strip under that, around the center rung then down under the teeth again. I think thats how I have mine.

Yep, exactly. (The rubber strap should be removed, rotated 180 degrees, and refitted on the pin at the top so that the teeth point in towards the tyre/wheel, then as per statey1975's paint sketch.)

We can just see the pocket on the nylon strap (I think) in the last image which is what the crank handle for the jack sits in. The crank then points up towards the top of the tyre, almost in line with the straps.

If you untie the nylon strap from the metal loop on the edge of the spare wheel well you should see the loop in the nylon strap that the wheel brace pushes through to prevent the strap from pulling through the (metal loop). (It won't work without the genuine - 'L' shaped - wheel brace.)

I'll copy this in too for future reference. It might make more sense with the images:

The woven nylon strap goes up through the metal loop that is on the edge of the spare wheel well. The wheel brace goes through the loop of the nylon strap and stops it from pulling through the metal loop. The little pocket in the nylon strap faces out, away from the tyre.

The rubber strap slips over the pin above the tyre.

With the tyre in place, the free end of the nylon strap goes up through the top loop of the buckle on the rubber strap from behind, loops over and then goes under the toothed part of the buckle. When it's tensioned, the teeth will hold the nylon strap against itself.

The handle of the crank for the jack goes in the pocket in the nylon strap and the other end is secured by a white plastic clip that has usually been lost. If it has, then the easy fix is to slip the crank between the tyre and rubber strap. You could use something like a bag twist tie instead (or maybe the clip is still available from a dealer?).

Last edited:

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Hey ... statey1975 ...
Thank You, Mate ... I now understand that the metal end of the rubber strap goes through the hole in the spare wheel then through the loop at the top of the boot, made for the rubber tie down strap ...

Just understood this bit ^ (I think). No, you have it correct as it is now, with the strap running over the top of the tyre.

vp2013

Reaction score
Members Ride

Thanks for the Heads up Wombles ... Cheers Mate ...

vp2013

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep, exactly. (The rubber strap should be removed, rotated 180 degrees, and refitted on the pin at the top so that the teeth point in towards the tyre/wheel, then as per statey1975's paint sketch.)

We can just see the pocket on the nylon strap (I think) in the last image which is what the crank handle for the jack sits in. The crank then points up towards the top of the tyre, almost in line with the straps.

If you untie the nylon strap from the metal loop on the edge of the spare wheel well you should see the loop in the nylon strap that the wheel brace pushes through to prevent the strap from pulling through the (metal loop). (It won't work without the genuine - 'L' shaped - wheel brace.)

I'll copy this in too for future reference. It might make more sense with the images:

Hey Thanks ... Cheap6 ...
I First tried to send to Your Private email, these Photos ... Then ... I could Not figure out, just How to attach photos to a Private email ... So ... I decided to open a Thread, to maybe create a How to ... to Combine all the Data discussed so far to help Commodore owners, as well as myself, in the Future, with this dilemma ...
Thanks Mate, for All Your Time and Effort ... It is Greatly appreciated ... Cheers ... Ian ...

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
as per above, bottom strap is held in place by the factory wheel brace to stop it rattling around.

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg