Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to spot an unmarked police car

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
There pretty easy to spot in SA. Most (not all) have a window louver(if thats even how you spell it...) aswell.

Saw on today, light blue VZ, tinniest little lights on each side of the dash, then when he went past, aerials and lights on the back. Both people were wearing suits, so the cop uniform doesn't always work.

Also, i doubt many of us here will be driving our cars to america, so the ford taurus pic is useless to us (hence the 'texas' number plates.....)

I'm pretty sure it is a ford crown victoria Nath, also louvre! j'ks lol....

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
ive seen them on a terriotry they use

Hardly worth mentioning it as a way to spot them when 'few' have them.

Not a single one in SA has them, nor have i seen any pictures of ones interstate with them.

batemada

Reaction score
Wellington, New Zealand (Yes i know yet another KI
Members Ride
2009 Gold Calais V Sportwagon
Here in NZ with the new VE's on the road some are very hard to spot due to them looking bog stock they even have a few calais as part of the rolling stock.
The only way to tell is by looking for the lights in the front grill as they have none on the dash and the rear ones have been built into the rear tail lights some how, also the antenna has been installed int o the rear glass so no more huge antenna on the boot lid.

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
Not sure if all cop cars have them sitting on the dash though... is it necessary for the cop cars to have lights at the front and rear of the car?

Very necessary. Think of when a person is intercepted and stopped on the road side. That's why the rear lights on a normal six cyclinder car are placed on the right side, so that they're more visible to passing traffic.

On the V8s however they're on both sides on the back shelf and are more intense lights due to the fact that they're TMU cars and need to be as visible as possible.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Hardly worth mentioning it as a way to spot them when 'few' have them.

Not a single one in SA has them, nor have i seen any pictures of ones interstate with them.
SA hardly counts! Seen plenty in VIC with lights mounted in/behind the grill.

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Four "different" ones I have seen lately...one was a Toyota Aurion, very nice dark blue, alloys, dark windows. Another was a new Falcon wagon, very dark tint, and steel wheels. Two really unusual ones of these were a reasonably new black SS Commodore ute, and a VS Berlina with dark tint and mags!

I have nothing really against coppers doing their jobs...one of my nephews is a cop...but I do have a problem with cars which aren't obviously police vehicles pulling people over...do they want us to not break the law, or do they just want to hide in the shadows and pounce to make some money?

This rubbish lead to the Transport Department coming up with the brilliant idea of wanting to pull people over...in unmarked cars...by simply flashing a badge...
This rapidly dropped idea raised the ire of female activists, saying what woman would pull over for someone in a blue shirt in some ordinary car claiming to be an authority figure? At the time I told my wife not to pull over for anyone who wasn;t obviously a cop, and to drive to the nearest police station or, failing that, a service station and park at the pumps (cameras). In fact, I would have a problem pulling over for an SS ute or an old VS flashing some lights at me...

Swordsy

mmmm beer....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo R8 - HX Tonner - XJR1200 - XR450R
........ In fact, I would have a problem pulling over for an SS ute or an old VS flashing some lights at me...
There was a umarked XR8 falcon police ute in newi not that long ago. Only saw him cos he'd pulled a supra over whilst cruising the foreshore.

Cops are usually easy to pick at night round here, they're the ones that don't turn off thier spotlights or high beam when they are coming towards you.

Last edited:

badaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VX S
Four "different" ones I have seen lately...one was a Toyota Aurion, very nice dark blue, alloys, dark windows. Another was a new Falcon wagon, very dark tint, and steel wheels. Two really unusual ones of these were a reasonably new black SS Commodore ute, and a VS Berlina with dark tint and mags!

I have nothing really against coppers doing their jobs...one of my nephews is a cop...but I do have a problem with cars which aren't obviously police vehicles pulling people over...do they want us to not break the law, or do they just want to hide in the shadows and pounce to make some money?

This rubbish lead to the Transport Department coming up with the brilliant idea of wanting to pull people over...in unmarked cars...by simply flashing a badge...
This rapidly dropped idea raised the ire of female activists, saying what woman would pull over for someone in a blue shirt in some ordinary car claiming to be an authority figure? At the time I told my wife not to pull over for anyone who wasn;t obviously a cop, and to drive to the nearest police station or, failing that, a service station and park at the pumps (cameras). In fact, I would have a problem pulling over for an SS ute or an old VS flashing some lights at me...

If you are concerned that the car is not a police car ring the police tell them someone in a car is trying to make them stop. The comms operator will be able to help out or you can drive to the local police station.
Yes the coppers maybe a bit annoyed but better to be safe than sorry, just tell them that you didn't feel safe and that you had phoned 000 to check there details.