Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to spot an unmarked police car

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
i noticed they only use ba/bf's as radars lately ... and they nearly always have the mirrors folded in

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
i drove past a blue unmarked yesterday, old cop hanging out the window with a radar gun in castle hill. Anyone know if they have to chase u to give you a ticket? or can they take ur photo and send you the bill?

nathg

Reaction score
Members Ride
MX83
i drove past a blue unmarked yesterday, old cop hanging out the window with a radar gun in castle hill. Anyone know if they have to chase u to give you a ticket? or can they take ur photo and send you the bill?

Ahh the good old blue SS. It's been around for a couple of years now, must have a decent amount of kilometers on it lol. Always the same guy driving aswell, always see him in the usual places, but he has never pulled me over :dance:

Marlon1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Equipe S2
Undercover cop cars

Hey,

Don't know if this has been posted or if this is true or not but i've heard the police were planning on using Holden Astra Turbos, Nissan Skylines, WRX (again) and other Japanese tuner cars in a bid to stop Melbourne's street racing and hoons.

Anyone know anything about that?

Cheers.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
wouldnt surprise, i know theyve been using gti's
post-147824-12376473931475537175.jpg

aurions:
post-142219-1236919232282182014.jpg

and all the usuals like fords and holdens

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
This used to belong to the Dawson street police depot.
hard to pick that one.

Attachments

• GTO_Police_Car_sized.jpg
    GTO_Police_Car_sized.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 22,654

Peter89

Reaction score
Members Ride
'90 S1 VN 3.8L A4 Wagon
[vic]

unmarked cop cars used as mobile cameras dont stop speeding, most people can spot them, true sometimes they are well hidden (hide behind cars but front must be clear) but not most of the time. well, i cars i have seen. cop cars stop speeding, i remember a time i was driving done to a friends place, this cop car came into the traffic, it was quite heavy so getting at the front of the pack wouldnt have been easy. anyways, as soon as everyone notices, the speed drops to 55 (60zone) if not less. the cop car strongly dislikes this since no one is prepared to go the slightest bit quickly thus moving around traffic is difficult. it seemed like he became really frustrated (tailgating ect) and finally got to the front. with mobile cameras ya just see people brake and speed back up just like fixed cameras.

unmarked cop cars used for mobile sites that i have seen have always been commodore wagons with a front bar. either grey or aqua/greenish.

personally im quite surprised i have never been pulled over, even just to check my car or BAC. i thought driving a VN with p plates in the eastern suburbs would draw attention, especially since i drive a night quite a lot. 1 speeding ticket (mobile camera saw the flash) and once a marked cop car slowed down to like 40kph or less but kept driving.

cinndaz044

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v8 sv exec 044
the hamley bridge police station in sa are still using vr/vs commodore station wagons for highway patrol duties i got pulled over with a mate in his car not long back.

looked like something you would see on a flashback on the news lol

they where doing radar duties around wild horse plains sitting in the median behind the trees

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Hey,

Don't know if this has been posted or if this is true or not but i've heard the police were planning on using Holden Astra Turbos, Nissan Skylines, WRX (again) and other Japanese tuner cars in a bid to stop Melbourne's street racing and hoons.

Anyone know anything about that?

Cheers.
Yes they ARE using many vehicles [i wont say what types]. Yes they have P plates up too, and are wearing casual, or a vic police polo top with whatever they want. These are the only police members that can pull someone over without having to wear the reflective vests on public roads when out of their vehicle. Yes they are designed to target hoons too, and you wont notice they're a cop car like the unmarked cars.

[vic]unmarked cop cars used as mobile cameras dont stop speeding, most people can spot them, true sometimes they are well hidden (hide behind cars but front must be clear) but not most of the time. well, i cars i have seen. cop cars stop speeding, i remember a time i was driving done to a friends place, this cop car came into the traffic, it was quite heavy so getting at the front of the pack wouldnt have been easy. anyways, as soon as everyone notices, the speed drops to 55 (60zone) if not less. the cop car strongly dislikes this since no one is prepared to go the slightest bit quickly thus moving around traffic is difficult. it seemed like he became really frustrated (tailgating ect) and finally got to the front. with mobile cameras ya just see people brake and speed back up just like fixed cameras.

unmarked cop cars used for mobile sites that i have seen have always been commodore wagons with a front bar. either grey or aqua/greenish.

personally im quite surprised i have never been pulled over, even just to check my car or BAC. i thought driving a VN with p plates in the eastern suburbs would draw attention, especially since i drive a night quite a lot. 1 speeding ticket (mobile camera saw the flash) and once a marked cop car slowed down to like 40kph or less but kept driving.
Yea, people slow down, but for example, i was on the side of the road last night right after a bend in a 50km/h zone. A ford was coming along with a done up exhaust, i could hear him coming for about 5 or so seconds before the bend, then when he came round the bend and spotted the vehicle you could hear him back off the throttle through the exhaust sound. As he was driving past you could see the blue LEDs on the windscreen washers. Thing is they think that because a speed camera didn't catch them they have nothing to worry about, but that's not true, some speed cameras are setup with another chase vehicle around, all the officer in the speed camera setup needs to do is radio in a defectable car and the chase car can deal with it, and usually they go right back to speeding knowing that they missed the speed camera anyways because there wont be another one anywhere near.

Up until November last year i didn't get pulled over once or waived into a booze bus. Then late novemeber i got pulled over [not randomly] but wasn't charged because i argued. Then i got pulled over a few weeks ago for speeding, again luck enough to talk down the speeding fine so i didn't get an instant loss of licence. Other than that nothing at all, i've managed to also get someone else pulled over and defected, that was fun. :yeah:

There are a few more mobile cameras than just the wagons, they also like to use 4WD's [like over in St Albans they tend to use a honda mini 4WD from memory, i have to have another look next time to get what it is. They come in many many makes down here, and most people can't spot all of them without training.

Tw11ga

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 VT Exec Manual
Down here in Albury there is a green VE SS. It has a few extra aerials on the boot and two little boxes either side of the rear number plate. it follows me outta town nearly everytime i leave boarding school to home of a weekend. Or maybe i just time it with shift change for the highway guys. Either way see it alot. Also a vx wagon mobile camera for the school zone there nearly everyday. And have seen a grey falcon around. Dead give away, has the radar box hanging out the window lol unmarked apart from that tho.