Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HOW TO Steering Controls VX/VY

boardyboy1979

Reaction score
For those of you wanting to get the steering controls working in a VX/VY after installing a new head unit.

The product you need is a CAT-08 made by Stinger Australia. JB HIFI can order it in (about $130). It works by converting the steering control signal into an IR signal(Same as what your remote uses).

The literature it comes with claims it can mimic the IR signals from the following remote controls.

Alpine RUE-4185
Clarion RCB130 & RCB161
JVC RM-RK50
Kenwood RC410 & RCDV100
Panasonic YEFX992663
Pioneer CXB8743 & CDSR80
Sony RMX115

I can confirm it also works with the JVC RM-RK230 remote - Comes with the JVC KD-AVX1 3" LCD Headunit.

Installation is simple for a VX. On the back of the factory HU plug there is a brown wire (in one of the corners of the plug). This brown wire is the signal wire from the steering controls. Connect it and the ACC and GND off the factory plug to the CAT-08. The little LED that emits the IR signal can be mounted in the interior light above the centre console.

REMEMBER to remove the positive off the battery before you start playing.

The CAT-08 literature (read as single A4 page) also claims to work with VS/VT Barina XC FORD AU1/2/3.

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
The VS-VT DID come with steering wheel controls on higher class models....if they didn't...I don't know what was on my VS Calais...or my VT Berlina I had for awhile...

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
Does the "little LED that emits the IR signal" mentioned above need to have wiring run to the interior light if mounting it there? How does it work?
I want to keep the steering wheel controls when I get a new head unit but not if there is alot of work involved.

Cameron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 11 'Redhot' Ute
i had mine installed today, they installed it above the passenger handle in the roof, im happy with wot i got, i paid $370 all up to get the IR interface + my headunit installed + Vy facia with pocket,

boardyboy1979

Reaction score
Chrisd79 said:
Does the "little LED that emits the IR signal" mentioned above need to have wiring run to the interior light if mounting it there? How does it work?
I want to keep the steering wheel controls when I get a new head unit but not if there is alot of work involved.

I put the box itself in the space below and behind the head unit and connected it to the factory plug. The ir signal is sent from an LED attached to a long thin cable. I cable tied the LED cable behind the glove box, ran it up behind the trim near the windscreen. Lowered the centre light and used one of the flexible plastic things electricians use to run wires to pull the led through. Dropped a small hole in the light itself (NOT the diffuser) and poked the LED through pointing it towards the Headunit. Then refitted the light and diffuser.

Easy as pie. Took under an hour. Probably more like 30 mins the second time round....if there ever is a second time.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
anyone got a website for the cat-08 from stinger???? price?? availability??? where to buy??? :confused:

dunno vx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive s1
yeah if n e one can tell us a price that would be cool cheers

Cameron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 11 'Redhot' Ute
The IR units cost between $200 to $250, about $30 to $50 to prof. install..

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
Does anyone know wether the IR kit works with a JVC KD-LHX505 head unit (remote model RM - RK300) :confused:

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Hey guys,
I dont mean to hijack this thread but for anyone who has a VY or VZ (maybe even VX) Phreddy has a neat way to connect amps etc to the factory head unit, therefore keeping the steering wheel controls and dashboard display etc. It also lets everything look nice and stock and sounds awsome!

See Phreddy's thread titled:

Blaupunkt low-level outputs? You betcha! :D

I had a look / listen and Im heaps impressed. Im gonna get him to fit one in my VY SS.