Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VN-VP] How to stop a VN-VS seat from reclining automatically while driving.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
The seat creeps back because the the little piece of foam rubber that acts as a brake has deteriorated. The foam can (or not, if it has disintegrated) be found behind the seat recliner knob.

The fix will cost you nothing and takes about 5 mins:

You need a gasket scraper (or perhaps a wood chisel), a pair of outside circlip pliers, a blade or knife and an old VN-VS live axle anti-roll bar link rubber. You could get creative with something other than the link rubber. Something like a piece of an old computer mouse mat or stubby holder would do.

Use the gasket scraper to lever out the centre cover from the recliner knob (if you are careful you won't mark the cover or knob) then push the circlip pliers into the split in the recliner knob to spread it, allowing you to pull the recliner knob off the seat.

Again use the circlip pliers to remove the circlip holding the recliner knob "brake" and retaining washer and remove any remnants of the foam still left.

The "brake" can then be replaced with a slice of the link rubber (or mouse mat foam) as thick as you can use while still being able to push the washer on and get the circlip back into the groove - about 5mm give or take. Thicker will make the seat harder to adjust, too thin won't work.

Then put everything back together. Easy.

To cut the centre hole neatly out of whatever material anyone decides to use, a short length of suitable diameter pipe can be sharpened on one end using a a grinder (or I guess with a file if you like hard work) to make a punch.

(Photos courtesy of 88GreenVN.)

Attachments

• Bits.jpg
    Bits.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 5,262
  • Circlip%20on.jpg
    Circlip%20on.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 5,242
  • New%20washer%20in.jpg
    New%20washer%20in.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 5,217
  • Shaft.jpg
    Shaft.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 5,168
  • Temp%20Mouse%20Pad%20Washer.jpg
    Temp%20Mouse%20Pad%20Washer.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 5,219
  • Winder%20on.jpg
    Winder%20on.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 5,249

georgeonboost

clutch it!
Reaction score
Members Ride
slammed VP EXEC
good write up, but can you put bigger pictures up...cant see exactly whats going on with the small pics before i go and attack my seat.

thanx,

George

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8

Attachments

• Temp Mouse Pad Washer.jpg
    Temp Mouse Pad Washer.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,588
  • Shaft.jpg
    Shaft.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,363
  • New washer in.jpg
    New washer in.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,506
  • Circlip on.jpg
    Circlip on.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,568
  • Bits.jpg
    Bits.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,728
  • Winder on.jpg
    Winder on.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,825
Last edited:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
OK just did this repair while the seat was in the car. Took just over 10 mins to have the seat fixed. That included making the new foam (mouse pad) washer.

One hint: when installing the circlip back use multi grips to hold the shaft out while using a screw driver to nudge the circlip into its grove.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
I will definately have to do this mod to my SV5000 seats as they recline quite easily over bumps, sometimes the passenger seat will go right back if no one has sat in it for a while.

SW.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
I will definately have to do this mod to my SV5000 seats as they recline quite easily over bumps, sometimes the passenger seat will go right back if no one has sat in it for a while.

SW.

Yep do it - I'm glad I have - on 4 seats now - winner every time

VPcalais87

CNBNVS
Reaction score
Website
www.finessecarhire.com.au
Members Ride
VP Calais 5.0
This is great guys. I can now prove to the mrs that "NO ONE ELSE HAS SAT THERE, IT MOVES ON IT'S OWN - I swear!" Can't wait to fix this. Thought I was going mad having to put both front seats up all the time! Glad it's not just me! Cheers