Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to stop axle tramp

manual vz sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
hey guys was just wondering how to stop axle tramp
any help would b great thanx

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
I second this question. I have a seriously bad case of it......... Mine's more self inflicted due to pushing the Optimal Torque, VE and Spark Tables........ and now i'm moving to the Variable Cam Phasing it's only gunna get worse. I've backed right off my tune because it'll break something.

My thoughts are better diff........ but it's odd because V8's make alot more power and dont stuffer this problem?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
rear shocks stuffed, rear diff housing bush has play in it, there the main two that comes to mind,

nolathane has a bush that fits into the rear diff mount to make it more rigid, apparently thats a point of inducing tramp

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
might be worthy checking your rear tailshaft rubber coupling too.. How much play should there be in the diff andyman, i know a little is un avoidable but how much is too much?

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
A mate of mine gets it fairly bad in his brand new VE SV6 Ute so his shocks/bushes ect couldnt be worn or damaged surely? Unless the holden items are all that good?

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Alrighty I took mine down to Pedders today to find out whats up with mine........specifically to do with the rear it came down to:

2 bushes for the rear suspension, 2 rear gas shockies, Urethane Various Bush and a wheel alignment.

That was specifically for the rear only.

I asked them about my rear diff mount which I felt needed doing they said that it's really irrelevant because the diff which mounts onto the main suspension side of it, what happens is the two main bushes wear and the whole suspension frame moves (forget the name of it) ......... causing the diff to move itself with it a bit.

On my car I have to replace two front rear bushes for the front steering as well, total quote $890.

I'll be getting it done soon, but they recon that's basically go for the axle trunk side of things.

PS. Their report shows I have worn X Member Mounts specifically for the rear.

manual vz sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
yeh i think i need to do something like that its not to bad now but its getting worst so yeh
thanx for ya help
bigdaddycool you were takin bout cam phasing wats that bout

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
might be worthy checking your rear tailshaft rubber coupling too.. How much play should there be in the diff andyman, i know a little is un avoidable but how much is too much?

the rear diff mount is obviously a rubber bush in a bush, so youu get a lil bit, the nolathane insert is a bush that pushes into the rear mount, it dosnt replace it, just firms the stock one up

A mate of mine gets it fairly bad in his brand new VE SV6 Ute so his shocks/bushes ect couldnt be worn or damaged surely? Unless the holden items are all that good?

if traction control kicks in, yes its the same effect as axle tramp, try it without esp on

Alrighty I took mine down to Pedders today to find out whats up with mine........specifically to do with the rear it came down to:

2 bushes for the rear suspension, 2 rear gas shockies, Urethane Various Bush and a wheel alignment.

That was specifically for the rear only.

I asked them about my rear diff mount which I felt needed doing they said that it's really irrelevant because the diff which mounts onto the main suspension side of it, what happens is the two main bushes wear and the whole suspension frame moves (forget the name of it) ......... causing the diff to move itself with it a bit.

On my car I have to replace two front rear bushes for the front steering as well, total quote $890.

I'll be getting it done soon, but they recon that's basically go for the axle trunk side of things.

PS. Their report shows I have worn X Member Mounts specifically for the rear.

well pedders is pretty stupid then, the rear diff mount is important because it hold the rear in end up in the car, if the rear bush in the diff mount flex's or is cracked, it will cause the rear cross member to move around and vibrate, generally under high load, so accellerating, hence causing the vibration

lowered cars with small springs and rooted shocks will also cause this, mainly becasue when you lower the car the angle of the cv shafts change, so with big power, they can slightly lever themself from the angle and cause the vibration, utes are worst

BrAdAsS

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.bradass.net
Members Ride
VX Executive A4
I got the said Nolathane/red ranger diff insert bush and the Pedders Axle tramp bushes, The tramp bushes stiffened up the sub frame which you can feel but it didn't do anything for my axle tramp...

I can't spin the wheels in a straight line without the whole car vibrating and banging, go sideways and it doesn't do it at all... I got a locker in mine which is what caused the tramping in the first place.

My next step is going to be the harrop sports diff cover then down the line change the rear shocks and or springs to firm it up and see what that does.