Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to stop rust on front lower guards

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
All cars rust in this spot as its where all the gunk and leaves and crap gets stuck over the years from dropping onto the window and making its way down inside the front panels ..:whistling

Anyway if you look at bottom of where the guards attached there is a bolt undo this then gently pull guard away from the car say 1 inch then with your other hand bang the hell out of it around the lower part of guard without denting panel of course hehe anyway you will find all the gunk and crap thats caught in there will come out very easily ... do this until no more crap comes out then spray some fish oil in there then put bolt back in and tighten up ... do this to both sides of course..

you will be suprised on the amount of crap that will come out ..;)

i got atleast 2 hanfuls of the crap out of each side ... there was even bloody worms crawling around in there .... hahah :yeah:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I've never seen a VN go rusty anywhere at all ever (except around the front and back windows)

h0Ld3n`VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
NO CAR ATM.. -.-
same here :p mines white too the only place is abit rusty is how greenfoam mentioned :)

Torniquet

Reaction score
the windows and often the tyre well..but thats all ive ever seen!!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I've got a book that describes the ridiculous messure they went to with the VN shell to rust proof it. Somehow the windows illuded them but I can't see a vn rusting like the older holdens and pretty much all fords for a looooooong looooooooong time, I rekcon they will last 50 years for the people that can water proof the boot and windows

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
yeah ive noticed vn's rusting on back windows etc ... one way to help stop that is getting a high pressure water hose and going over the rubber where it meets the metal so you flush all the dirt out from under the rubber ...

I do this everytime I wash the car...

also another thing i did other day was removie the boot rubber and cleaned all the dirt etc from where the rubber sits.

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
Ok Today I undid the bolt again and pulled guard gently away and more **** come out all rust flakes and dirt and leaves, gave it a few good whacks and lots more come out , the rust is very minor more surface bubble rust than anything.

If you get bored one day get a socket and undo the one bolt that holds bottom of guard on and gently pull it about 2 inches away from car and whack the guard and you will see a hell of alot of crap come out.

This is from all the years of sitting under a tree and living in dusty enviroments.

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
Ok Today I undid the bolt again and pulled guard gently away and more **** come out all rust flakes and dirt and leaves, gave it a few good whacks and lots more come out , the rust is very minor more surface bubble rust than anything.

If you get bored one day get a socket and undo the one bolt that holds bottom of guard on and gently pull it about 2 inches away from car and whack the guard and you will see a hell of alot of crap come out.

This is from all the years of sitting under a tree and living in dusty enviroments.